Paint question

Woodpile

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
The Old Town 50 pounder is canvassed and filled, now thinking about the paint. One of Jerry Stelmok's writings say' "Acrylic auto enamel seems to provide a harder finish than most of the marine paints that I have tried, and since canoes are used quite differently than yachts, I feel that the advantages of using the tougher paint outweigh the superior weathering qualities of marine paint". That said, I have used quality marine paints on other builds/restorations and have been quite pleased with the results. The canoe will be used lightly and stored indoors so I don't consider weathering an issue, however, if the auto paint hardness provides a little more "ding" protection Jerry's opinion seems to make sense. Appreciate any opinions on this subject, thanks.

Don

I had a buddy spray auto paint with lots of "flex" additive to a canoe a few years back. Looked great for a couple of years. Then either the paint cracked or the filler cracked...not sure which. It sure was glossy!
Being wet and dry, canoes expand and contract. You'll want to be sure your paint and filler will have some elastic qualities to it.... To me "hard" auto paint may not make the grade.
Light use...always dry... You may be ok.

Thanks Dave, I'm in total agreement with what you're saying, the other consideration is the compatibility with oil based filler and primer with a modern automotive paint. I'm not averse to trying something new, the 2 part Interlux Perfection I used on a strip hull skiff is excellent paint and has held up well but in this case old school sounds best.

Don

Back