Outterds and innerds of a courting canoe

crosscuts

Crosscuts
Andre asked for photos of an in-progress Robertson courting canoe. It was in fair shape, it could have floated upon arrival. The 48" decks have a few cracks but can be salvaged. A lot of steel fasteners were used for trim. Biggest surprise the condition of the right bow. It looked like a Chris-Craft had rammed it. The ribs and planking were stove-in, no apparent damage to the canvas, finished canvas is amazing stuff.

Thank you RC, thats what I wanted to see. oddly enough, mine was hit on the opposite side and had some goop in it, and was 'glassed. thats in considerably better shape than mine. if you had photos of the deck beams and joinery that would be very useful, thank you. also any stem to gunwale joint shots on the one good end, to see how it all terminates. same boat as mine, are there numbers on the stem?

I had one good tip to go from. I've seen other pictures of c river canoes with the same tip construction. The last piece of planking notches into the gunwhale and stem.

Attachments

• other tip.jpg
    other tip.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 388
  • 00014.jpg
    00014.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 380
thanks a bunch Jeff, thats what I was looking for since this is what I'm starting off with. Nice to see other people use nicely restored canoes for workbenches and propping up parts too.;)

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 378
No Problem Andre, I have a cardboard template of my torpedo out section of the inner stem, it may not be the same as yours, can't tell how much re-curve you have, I can mail you the template, someone else might have stuff closer.

The template really helped for reconstruction of the rotted tip. The block they used at the ends has kinda a concave shape on the sides. Having the block there makes repair easy. I used local Engelmann spruce for the rail and tip block.

Here are a few other pics.

Your tip might not have been done the way mine was. I just noticed another Robertson tip that was different.

Attachments

• 00010.jpg
    00010.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 360
  • tip rot.jpg
    tip rot.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Thanks, my boat is not torpedo stemmed, but has a gradual recurve like most old towns, almost half round (for lack of a better explanation)
I had a closer look, the one inner stem to was still there but pushed down, so I have a nice template. The stem is out of shape but the plank edges are all good so I can make a tracing for new inner stems.
thanks again, now to start.:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 329
question for courting canoe owners and historians...

sneaking a look under the deck, it doesnt appear to have the deck framing like RC's boat, but instead simply has beams going across - couple in place, one out on the workbench. Does this denote a manufacturer or time period?
thanks
more pictures here
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=5654&highlight=long+soak

and looking closer, apparently the critter that nibbled the beams liked 2 of the ribs enough to remove them. Hope he swallowed a tack...

Attachments

• IMG_3945.jpg
    IMG_3945.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_3947.jpg
    IMG_3947.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 352
Outterds and Innerds

A few innerds to fill out the cadaver of the Robertson. One steel screw holds each end of the deck beams through the inwale. Mid-line stringers are toenailed into the deck beams with steel finishing nails. I will notch these into pockets in beams. The segments of the mid-line stringers are curved to match the decks. Neat way the mid-line stringer is angled pocketed into the breast-hooks. The serial number is stamped into the aft end of the stem and on the 13th rib. The dies for the serial numbers are hollow. Only the outline cuts in.
The inwales taper and meet to land on top of the inside stems.

R.C.

Last edited:
It looks like crosscuts canoe may of had the rail and stem notched for the last planking, Andre maybe not, but looks as if the termination at the stem would be the same either way. On mine the outer stem then carries past to the bottom of the decks, with a notch for the trim.

It felt good to get rid of all the steel screws.

Attachments

• deck air.jpg
    deck air.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 354
Back