OT rowing canoe serial no 107753?

parker61

We have had a 17 ft long 44 inch beam wood and canvas Old Town rowing canoe for 12 years, stored under cover. The canvas needs replacing and the wood needs refinishing. I lightly sanded the stem and used chalk to highlight the serial number. It is still very faint but I believe that it reads "107753". Can you confirm this and can you send a build card if located? What range would it cost to replace the canvas? I realize that this is a long term project but I have the space, tools and experience to take it on. Photos attached. Thank you,
Dan Parker

Attachments

• IMG_7019[1].JPG
    IMG_7019[1].JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7024[1].JPG
    IMG_7024[1].JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7022[1].JPG
    IMG_7022[1].JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7020[1].JPG
    IMG_7020[1].JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7030.JPG
    IMG_7030.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 31
Benson has been very busy earlier today responding to a backlog of such requests. Let's see if he's able to rally for some more sleuthing. If not today, he's usually here often so it won't be too long.
WRT the cost of a restoration, budget about $600 for materials and odds and ends. You will need to buy stripper, sandpaper, TSP and wood bleach, tacks, screws, canvas and filler, bedding, paint and varnish. It adds up.
I take the view that my restoration might be the last one the boat gets, so I always use what I consider to be the best available materials.
If you are not afraid to take the work on, that's half the battle. It looks like you might need to make a few ribs or at a minimum, learn about the back splice fix.
That's a nice boat. Locate the builders/suppliers list on the site and think about Shaw and Tenney for suitable oars.

GREAT! Thanks. After 12 years, I'm not in any hurry. :)
I also saw a pair of OT 7.5 ft canoe oars online for 250.......

Dan

Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town with serial number 107753 is a 16 foot long, AA (or top) grade, Double End Boat model (standard versioin which has a 42 inch beam width) with red western planking, open mahogany gunwales, mahogany decks, mahogany thwarts, mahogany seats, a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. It was built between October, 1930 and November, 1933. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May 23rd, 1934 to Sunapee Depot, New Hampshire. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match. I agree with MGC's restoration comments. Page 13 of the 1931 Old Town catalog at the link below has more details. Let me know if you have other questions or if there is anything else that I can do to help.

Benson

OTC-107753.gif

Last edited:
WOW! Thanks, Benson! I know you're preparing for the upcoming Assembly and didn't expects such a quick response. This is great information.
FYI, I have used chalk on a number of embossed or stamped labels or numbers on furniture and other pieces to help make them appear more legible. Please pass this to others who are trying to decipher those old, faded serial numbers. :)
THAT was the easy part......

Dan

Back