OT Keel dimensions

Lazy Jack

LOVES Wooden Canoes
The keel is long gone so no reference. I feel compelled to replace it for longitudinal strength on this rather elderly canoe if nothing else.

Softwood? Hardwood? What were the original dimensions?

Its time to canvas the old girl - still ruminating about filler - I've read all the ekofill and Zinnser WaterTite threads along with the various experiences - good and bad - associate with their use. Don't want to wait an eternity to cure 'traditional' filler, the advantage of which has been eroded by changing times

I've abandoned Zinsser water tite for what I think is better....Sherwin/Williams Pro-block exterior latex primer. Off the top of my head, the keel is hardwood, and I think 7/8 x 7/8 trapezoidal cross section with a cove on the part that is against the canoe so you can fill that space with bedding compound. I don't know the angles. I just put the bevel gauge on an old piece and transfer to the saw.

Jack,

Straight grained White Oak is a good choice of wood for a keel. Keel dimensions - 7/8" wide X 1" deep sides tapering from 7/8 to 9/16. Make the 7/8" top that goes flush to the hull bottom concave to retain bedding compound.

Jack,

Straight grained White Oak is a good choice of wood for a keel. Keel dimensions - 7/8" wide X 1" deep sides tapering from 7/8 to 9/16. Make the 7/8" top that goes flush to the hull bottom concave to retain bedding compound.

arrrrrrrgh shiver me timbers matey, some serious brig timber ye sayin'

white oak she be then - I'll find me a 4/4 plank and tilt the table a whisker and run off a strip end for end. I'll have to get creative about a cove - perfect job for that table saw I don't have. Rounded cabinet scraper should work just fine...in fact I'll cut a cove along each edge of the stock and plane opposing scarfs in each end, then cut the beveled strip off each edge and glue the scarfs toether into a full length, tapered, coved keel. hah! Solved!!

Thanks

Last edited:
Back