Older Canoe - 16-8816

knubud

Wooden Canoeist
HAve a canoe at the shop, older one with a 5 inch wide plank at the gunwale.
Found a Serial # of 16-8816. I have some pictures but looks like the stems and decks may have been redone and lowered. Forward seat was originally fastened to the ribs with a horizonal piece, and the back seat is a trapezoid like the Indian Girls. Half ribs are tapered at the ends.

Thanks - Bud

Hi Bud,

Sounds like it sure well could be an Indian Girl. Sheer plank and seating is right. Some photos might help clinch it, particularly one of the inboard end of the stem with the SN on it. Also, look for the Rushton stamp on one of the stems or on the middle of the center thwart.

Cheers,
Dan

We checked and could find no Rushton name. Also two thwarts, rather than one. Al has an Indian Girl and there are differences. Will try to attach photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    739.6 KB · Views: 260
Just talked to the owner, says it's a Carleton from the early 20's. Can you get me a build record?

Thanks - Bud

bud,

Here is the build record for Carleton 8816, but it is for a 15' canoe. Your canoe doesn't really look like a Carleton to me either...

The serial number stamps are different than I usually see in Rushtons.

Attachments

• carleton8816.gif
    carleton8816.gif
    29.4 KB · Views: 273
A Carleton from the 1920s would have a five digit serial number like 18816 but that record shows a 17 foot long canoe and the record for 8816 shows a 15 foot canoe as Dan mentioned previously. The Kennebec records show that their number 8816 is a 17 foot canoe from 1914 and 18816 is a 16.5 foot boat from 1926 so those don't match either.

It could be an Old Town from the 1920s that had some major repairs and there could be at least one more hidden digit under that round mark to the left of the existing 8816. Their 58816 is 18 feet long, 68816 is 15 feet, 78816 is 18 feet, 98816 is 15 feet, and 108816 is 16 feet but it didn't have half ribs. My guess is that you may have the Old Town canoe with serial number 88816. This is a 16 foot long, CS grade, Otca model with red Western Cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks, birch trim, half ribs, a keel and outside stems. It was built between December, 1925 and June, 1927. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on July 6th, 1927 to Newburgh, New York. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan was created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.html to join or renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 88816.gif
    88816.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 252
Thanks guys. The end of the other stem - where the matching numbers would be - was removed for a mast step. We'll keep looking to see if anything else can further identify it.

LAter-Bud

Back