Old Town White Cap Sailboat

Jim C

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My father has begun restoring an Old Town White Cap. The serial number best I can tell is 167593. Our neighbor was the original owner and his paperwork shows it built in 1957. Would you have a build sheet or any information on this boat?

Thanks,
Jim Casagrande

Attachments

• serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 323
Well, I agree that your number looks like 167593 but that serial number was assigned to a 16 foot long Otca model canoe. The only two 13.5 foot long lapstrake sailboats (a.k.a. Whitecaps) in the 1675xx and 1676xx ranges are 167592 and 167591.

My guess is that you have serial number 167592. This is a 13.5 foot long sail boat with a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. It was built between April and May, 1958. The original exterior paint color was white with a natural inside. It shipped on June 10th, 1958 to Nantucket, Massachusetts. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the thumbnail image attached below.

These scans were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. Additional information about the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your boat. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 167592.gif
    167592.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 167591.gif
    167591.gif
    49.1 KB · Views: 282
Benson,

Thanks very much, I was suspect of the fifth digit, but I see you covered that possibility. Another thread mentions that the hull number is also located inside the centerboard trunk, if we uncover anything different there we'll let you know. The New Jersey shipping address of #167591 would have been much closer to the original owner. :)

Thanks again,
Jim Casagrande

I am the lucky new owner of a White Cap Sailboat. Looking for any and all info or links that can help me with restoring the little guy as well as history on these boats. Need all the help I can get. Thanks!

I am the lucky new owner of a White Cap Sailboat. Looking for any and all info or links that can help me with restoring the little guy as well as history on these boats. Need all the help I can get. Thanks!

Welcome mctz,

You should feel free to start a new thread about your project - it might get more responses if you do... One of the first things you can do is locate the serial number and post it to the serial number section of this Forum. One of our volunteers will provide the original build record for your boat, which will give you some information to start with. The Whitecap appeared in the Old Town catalog for a number of years. A digital collection of Old Town catalogs is available through the WCHA online store. If you don't already have it, Sue Audette's history of the Old Town Canoe Company is an excellent resource on the history of the company - it too is available from the WCHA.

Regards,
Dan

Dan not sure how to start new thread. New to this site. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dan not sure how to start new thread. New to this site. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just navigate to the forum in whihc you want to create a new thread, and look for the big green button labelled "Post New Thread"

Back