old town transom stearn rowboat

rbandy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I'm hoping 153248 belongs to a old town row boat with sponsons. Any help with the canoe card would be appreciated.

Reid

Reid,

Old town number 153248 was a 14-foot CS (or common sense) grade square stern canoe (or row boat?) with sponsons. It was built in 1949 and shipped to Tilton, N.H., in 1950. It had cedar planking and open spruce gunwales, plus outside stems and some kind of keels. The build record is attached.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you and anyone else reading this will join or renew membership in the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

If you are selling your canoe and plan to use this build record information as part of an ad, please consider giving the WCHA credit for this information on eBay or craigslist or wherever your canoe is listed.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your boat. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Norm

Attachments

• 153248.jpg
    153248.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 214
Hey Norm, Thanks so much. Is there any info on the back of the card or catalogue info?

Reid

Reid,

There was nothing on the back of the card. The surrounding scans were for different boats.

I've attached a page out of the Old Town catalog for 1949 showing the square stern row boat or motor boat with sponsons, which I assume is yours. This image comes from the catalog CDs that are available from the WCHA store, if you want more information.

Norm

Attachments

• 1949 square stern.jpg
    1949 square stern.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 381
Reid,

OK, now I'm curious. Do you have any photos of the boat you could share with us? What's a bilge keel?

Norm

Hi All,

Bilge keels are a pair of secondary keels, set off to each side of the centerline keel. They are usually placed just at the beginning of the hull's curve. I have a 14' Old Town sailing dinghy that has them, and my Willits sailing canoe has them as well.

Thanks Norm and Mark,

Here are a few shots. The row boat weighs ~175 lbs. so I took "bilge keel", photos from another boat already on her back.
I see bilge keels on boats that get hauled on the bank often and also powered boats more than nonpowered. They are placed at the turn of the bilge, hence the name. Sort of sacrificial protectors. They also help trap some water and cause the boat to lift and plane more easily when under power and they would give a sailing boat more laterial stability and keep her more "close", winded which allows the boat to point closer to the wind and slip sideways less.

Thanks again for the info,
Reid

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 230
Reid,

Thanks. It looks just like the boat in the catalog. And in good shape, too.

Norm

Back