Old Town ID Information Request

Boatnut

Avid sea kayaker, canoe paddler and sailor
IMG_6789.jpeg

Please provide me with information on the canoe with this ID number. It’s an 18’ Old Town. I can’t quite make out the second digit. I appears to me that the number is 30965, 36965 or 38965. Thanks, Matt Lutkus

It will take some more information or pictures to narrow this down since all three of those canoes are 18 feet long. Is the serial number in the other end more clear? Does it have half ribs, outside stems, or a floor rack? Are the decks, seats, and thwarts maple, birch, or mahogany? My guess is that you have 36965. This is an 18 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, HW model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks, birch thwarts, birch seats, and a keel. It was built between February and March, 1915. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May 3rd, 1915 to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A scan showing this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that this canoe could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-36965.gif

On the ID number on the stern stem the second number looks more like a

“0” than a “6”. There are outside stems and half ribs. Looks like it has brass toggles to hold a floor rack in place. Attached are some additional photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6812.jpeg
    IMG_6812.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6811.jpeg
    IMG_6811.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6797.jpeg
    IMG_6797.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6799.jpeg
    IMG_6799.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6804.jpeg
    IMG_6804.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 26
The Old Town canoe with serial number 30965 is an 18 foot long, AA (or top) grade, Ideal model with red western cedar planking, double mahogany gunwales, mahogany decks, mahogany thwarts, mahogany seats, half ribs, a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. It was built between February and June, 1914. The original exterior paint color was Yale blue. It shipped on June 5th, 1914 to Easton, Pennsylvania. A scan of this build record can be found below.

It is also possible that this canoe could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-30965.gif

Back