Old Town dinghy questions

sheebean

novice
Hello All

I'm new this forum and to boat care, so please forgive any stupid questions.

I've just acquired a 1949 14 ft Old Town canvas covered dinghy and I have a few questions about her. This year we plan to do minor repairs (oarlocks, etc.) and enjoy her, and then do a more comprehensive restoration next winter.

There are hairline cracks in the paint throughout the boat. The cracks are not deep enough to reveal the original green under the coat of white. (Sorry I couldn't get a good pic of the cracks) Is it OK to put her in the water like this? If not, what could I do to remedy this problem, bearing in mind that next winter she will be stripped and repainted?

The wood is in great condition except for the bow and the corners of the transom. The rot in the transom seems to be localized to the area in the pics, and there are no cracks around the edge. I'm not concerned with the bow right now, but the transom concerns me because we plan to use a 6 hp outboard (gently). Given this condition, is it advisable to use an outboard, or should we stick to rowing? I was told by someone on the Wooden Boat forum that the boat was originally designed to take an 8 hp outboard.

My last question is about her classification. I've had a bear of a time trying to find pics of other boats like her on this forum and Google, so maybe I'm not searching for the right term. The build record says it is a square stern model, but that doesn't produce many search results. What did Old Town call this type of boat?

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AC

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

As to the cracked paint, it may be ok to put it in as is, but . . .

When I got an OT 50-pounder last year, the paint was cracked over much of the hull, and there were a couple of places where the paint was scraped away.

I was not concerned that there would be any actual leaking, but I was concerned that the cracks would allow water to seep into and wet the canvas, increasing the weight of the canoe. I lightly sanded the hull, primarily to smooth out a few spots where the cracking made the surface especially rough, and then applied a couple of new coats of paint, which seems to have the desired effect of keeping the canvas from getting soaked.

You might take a look at this thread: http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=5501
where Treewater has a picture of how canvas with old, cracked paint can have water bleeding through:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46800923@N02/4439703662/

Putting a coat or two of paint on your hull is fairly quick and easy, even if it is intended to be for only a year. You could even try out a different color if you wished, just to see if you like it better than what you have, and if you don't like the new color, it will be gone in a year.

My 2 cents . . .

Attachments

• Copy of 100_2554 sm.jpg
    Copy of 100_2554 sm.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Copy of 100_2549 sm.jpg
    Copy of 100_2549 sm.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 236
  • copy of 100_2561 sm.jpg
    copy of 100_2561 sm.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 242

Attachments

• 173585.gif
    173585.gif
    39.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 4jon.jpg
    4jon.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 260
  • dinfo.jpg
    dinfo.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 288
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 245
Oh, my transom,where art thou !!

Well, you do have options, and I am reminded of two wise comments in this case..." He who runs away, lives to fight ( paddle ) another day...and " Things are seldom what they seem, milk can masquerade as cream. " Your transom may , indeed, be ready to separate under power with a 6 or an 8 hp, and there is no safe way to discern if it wants to do so. I suspect you should consider being very conservative here and not create a condition with a transom failure that would ( if you survive the ordeal ) seriously increase the degree of difficulty in bringing her back with a first class restoration. Of, course, everyone's boat is theirs, to do with as they see fit, no ? Dave

Hello,

I don't thing the transom is in danger of peeling away with judicious use of a motor. What I would do is get a product called "Git-rot" and firm up the rotten areas, The transom is still solidly anchored in that last 6" wide rib, and the knees are still bracing it from the top.

Old Town simply called these "square stern boats". The dinghy hull shape is quite a bit different, although the bow profile looks the same. Dinghies are quite a bit wider and have a different seating arrangement as well.

It will be a sweetheart when you get it all restored. It is a nice looking boat as it is now too. That stemband has gotta go though!

PS just looked at the pics again, and in looking at the transom, it looks like your boat has been glassed.

Stem band

That stem band may be original. My Dad's 1940's Old Town had a flat steel stem band due to shortage of brass during the war. During the restoration, it bedded well and there certainly was no chance of breaking it, so I kinda like them!

Attachments

• DeckEdit.jpg
    DeckEdit.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Well it's a sq stern cause the build sheet says it is. That ends that debate. Enclosed is some sq. stern info. Other than that it' mostly a different hull shape not so much the width or seat arrangement, evidence it the dinghy I posted earlier. Forget about the nasty get rot; stop storing it on the ground upside down. The bang iron and the bow eye do look suspect, well not the best choice regardless. It should be a fine boat and worthy of restoration.

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

www.RossBros.com

Attachments

• page-17.gif
    page-17.gif
    154 KB · Views: 252
  • page-19.gif
    page-19.gif
    123.9 KB · Views: 243
Again, on the question of wht to do about hairline cracks in the hull paint --

If your hull is covered with fiberglass (and looking at your pics, it well may be), small hairline cracks in the gel coat shouldn't be a problem, and adding another coat of paint may make future action a more difficult, or at least messier.

Indeed, if you've got fiberglass, the real question becomes -- will you keep it, or will you remove it and recover the boat with canvas, as it was originally built? Covering with new canvas is not a particularly difficult task, but removing the 'glass is another matter.

If you do a search of the forums on fiberglass, you will find that most here, but not all, would favor removing the fiberglass and then recovering with canvas. The current condition of the 'glass and of the planking covered by the 'glass, and the long-term life of the boat, are important considerations when deciding what to do and when to do it. And whether epoxy (harder to remove) or polyester (easier) was used with the 'glass also enters the equation.

A very nice boat -- certainly worth the effort of restoring.

Back