Old Town Canoe SN 655 17

Tyadamski

I'm guess that is pre 1910 and 17 foot... but that's all I know. Please let me know if you guys have any other information. thanks!!

There are no available records for a three digit Old Town serial number. Most canoes with serial numbers in this range came from builders in eastern Massachusetts. Does it have a decal or name plate on the bow deck? Can you supply any pictures to help identify it through other clues? Thanks,

Benson

I doubt that it is an Old Town because three digit Old Town canoes are quite rare. I have no idea where the canoe is located, but if it is in the Midwest, it's likely a St. Louis, and if it's in the Northeast, it's likely a Charles River canoe.

The canoe is located in MO. Sorry I didn't even know about the St. Louis canoe builder, and I did just look up some information on them. I'm in the process of buying the canoe from a guy to restore it and use it. (would be my first) So I was trying to get as much information as possible on it to give it a deeper history. I included the pictures I had. And I'll see about the decal but I didn't see one when I originally looked. Anymore input from you guys would be great. Thanks again so much for your help.

I've been trying to call the person selling this canoe on Craigslist this past weekend, but he never called back. From the pictures he posted it looks like a St. Louis Boat and Canoe. The number 655-17 was built in 1935. Gil didn't you have the one right before this one.

Thanks for all your help guys! Your great detectives and really know your stuff! Hopefully one day I can harbor that kind of information!

Walter, I don't remember whether I had the one before this one, but supposedly #1164 was built in 1937 or 1938 since it was a graduation present. I had a St Louis catalog copy from the twenties that had a sales slip with it showing several numbers being shipped , but haven't been able to find it.

Walter, I don't remember whether I had the one before this one, but supposedly #1164 was built in 1937 or 1938 since it was a graduation present. I had a St Louis catalog copy from the twenties that had a sales slip with it showing several numbers being shipped , but haven't been able to find it.
Walter, it's hard to recall if I had the previous one, but #1164 was likely built around 1937-1938 as a graduation gift. I once had a St. Louis catalog from the 1920s with a sales slip showing several numbers shipped, but I can't find it now.

Back