old sailing canoe

Guy Peters

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a one off sailing canoe that I am planning to restore but I haven't gotten to it yet and so it seems to me that I should get it documented and all lines taken to preserve it and make it possible for others to copy it or modify it's design to suit them. I am wondering where and who would do such a thing. This is a historically important boat!

Last edited:
Photos please???? As a sailing canoe enthusiast I would sure like to see more! I will be documenting an 1880s Rushton decked sailing canoe myseld, as soon as my new shop is completed.

Where are you located? There are several canoe builders around capable of tackling such a project.

If you would like to learn more about the process of documentation, the definitive resource is Boats: A Manual for Their Documentation, which is available as a free download from the Museum Small Craft Association here: http://museumsmallcraft.org/publications.html

Regards,
Dan

Been a while since we lofted Apache, would be good to dust off the lines taking skills. Where are you located, and as Dan has said please post some pictures or details.
Thanks for the link Dan, its timely!

I will have to dig through my pict or take new ones, it is known as Mannequin and what I have found out is that it was built by Rolf Armstrong himself with the help of a friend carpenter( whose name I don't know). I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. Thanks for you quick response! Guy

I will have to dig through my pict or take new ones, it is known as Mannequin and what I have found out is that it was built by Rolf Armstrong himself with the help of a friend carpenter( whose name I don't know). I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. Thanks for you quick response! Guy

Ah, so you have Mannequin! Finally it turns up, it went below the radar some time ago. Do you have much of its history? I can PM you a bunch, and i have photos of it when it was last for sale years ago.
Rolf was a pin up artist of great note, and he painted a picture of his model and adopted daughter Jewel Flowers aboard it, here is a link to the site that will give you more info about him and the pastel.
http://grapefruitmoongallery.com/sold-items/822.shtml
Somewhere i have an ad for the Gilbert boatworks in Brockville, Ontario who built Mannequin IIRC. I will dig around, unless Dan has it somewhere..
You might contact Douglas Fowler as well.
You are right, it is a historically significant boat!

Attachments

• rolf-armstrong_figured-417 (1).jpg
    rolf-armstrong_figured-417 (1).jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I am interested in any information/ history that any one has. Doug Fowler did make a set of sails for me some years ago and I had hoped to have it sailing long ago! But alas too busy and not enough $ to have someone else do it. And as time passes it seems a shame not to have plans for reproduction available at least. It is a really beautiful boat. And not quite like any other sailing canoe. I do have the book PIN-UP DREAMS about Rolf.

What is Mannequin IIRC? Douglas Fowler (When I talked with him some years ago) mentioned Gilbert boatworks and thought they might have built Mannequin but I've not heard of Mannequin IIRC? I would like very much to have as much of it's history as possible. I do have the book Pinup Dreams about Rolf, but would love to have more Info. Sorry this reply took months. Thanks, Guy

Back