Not wood, but an unknown canoe... Please help identify!

csm672

1st post. I was refered to this forum through a member at Fiberglassic forums. No one there is able to identify the maker of this fiberglass canoe. I realize this is a longshot at best, but maybe someone here can shed some light on this for me. Here is all I know: I bought this canoe from a campground on the Illinois river here in Oklahoma. They were the original owners. Bought new in 1972. Oklahoma being the way it is, the title just reads "canoe". The business has changed hands a few times and no one there now knows who the actual maker of this canoe was. One old timer there said they always called it the "Golden Chief", but he doesn't know if that was the name or not. I have searched the web for this name and came up empty. A guy at work says he thinks it's built by Osagian, but I think it's just the indian making him think that. They only make aluminum canoes as far as I know.
I will add some pics. It's 15' long and the arrows and chief are molded on, not a sticker or paint. If anyone can identify this or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I understand this is a WOODEN canoe forum, but no one else has been able to help, so I was hoping I could get a good lead here! Thanks!!!
Casey 100_0301 (Copy).JPG100_0299 (Copy).JPG

It doesn't look familar to me and the Fiberglassic forum is usually the best place to get suggestions for something like this. It should have a hull identification number on the starboard stern if it shipped after November 1, 1972. The sites at http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html and http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx may help you intrepret this information.

There was a Golden Chief Industry as described at http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=GCX that made small boats in Fort Gibson, OK until 1976. Good luck,

Benson

Thanks, Benson. I will check out that address you posted for Golden Chief Industry. There are no numbers of any kind on the canoe. No tags, no place for tags, no holes where a tag could have been. I guess that makes it a pre- November. I really like this canoe, but I must say I'm totally impressed with the wooden ones you guys have on here! I may just have another canoe in my garage because of this site! Thanks again Benson.
Casey

Hi Casey-- You might want to see if you're near a WCHA chapter-- you don't need a wooden canoe to join the paddling, and paddling-season is getting an early start! WCHA-people are a great bunch. When it comes time for you to get that wooden canoe, you can get your questions answered here-- or in-person from a local chapter.

Kathy

Hi and thanks Kathy. I live in Tulsa so the Missouri chapter would probably be closest. Might still be a little far, though, depending where in Mo. I don't really have enough knowledge in things canoe, but my wife and all 5 kids really like the 2 fiberglass ones I brought home, so I am slowly reading the forums and trying to grasp everything I need to learn before buying my next one. I am leaning more and more towards a wooden canoe... these things are gorgeous! Thanks again for the advice Kathy!

Casey

Hi Casey,

Getting an old canoe into the water again is a wonderful family project. The WCHA is a great family organization. At our yearly Assembly there are many activities designed for children. I mention this, not expecting you to attend, but so you know one of the things I love about the WCHA is that it promotes a wonderful family activity. If you find an old canoe and fix it up, it becomes a family heirloom filled with memories-- and there are many "lessons" available-- everything from teaching kids the value of recycling old things to exploring our beautiful world... and creating lifelong memories. Several people here have the canoe they paddled with their parents-- or one like it!

As I said, ask questions here and you'll get lots of help when it comes to the wooden canoe(s) in your future.

Kathy

Back