Mystery Canoe

Jtaylor1018

I crossed upon an old wood canoe that is remarkably in great shape. In doing some research, the WCHA website was recommended to find out more about it. I am hopeful to inquire if anyone might be aware of collectors interested in purchasing this type of craft. There are cane seats and ribbed planking on the interior, wood exterior. There is a serial number 2179 carved in the inside of the spine. Its 12' long and have been told its likely a Penn Yan or Thompson. If anyone has any advice on how to determine value, interested collector(s), etc. please send word!

Attachments

• DSCN0439.jpg
    DSCN0439.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN0441.jpg
    DSCN0441.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 275
Welcome to the forums. You'll certainly find a wealth of knowledge here. I'll let the experts ascertain the identity of your canoe (all I know is the decks look like Chestnut decks, and I hope that's not fiberglass on the outside).

As for value, a fairly thorough explanation of value can be found here:
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=57

If you are indeed looking to sell it, the WCHA classified section will most likely get your boat in front of the greatest amount of knowledgeable and interested parties (though craigslist and ebay have been utilized before as well). Best of luck and welcome.

We need better pics, close ups of the decks, seats, thwarts, ribs, planking etc.

Based on these pcis, I'd suggest Canadian, possibly Chestnut.

To me, it doesn't look anything like either a T or PY.

Dan

Appears to be a nice little canoe in great shape. Nice size to poke around in a pond or take camping.

As Dan said, more pictures would help... and the planking doesn't seem Thompson, and the serial number isn't the format I'd expect for a Penn Yan.

Kathy

Looks Chestnut-y to me... I think I can see the wide cant rib up under the deck, and the impressions of the screw heads (holding the metal bands to the forms) on the ribs are typical as well... :D

Back