My canoe is done....almost

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Heres some pics of my OT Guide with the sail on it. I have it at work on display. I am the 3rd generation in my family with this name attached to the hull. My guess is that my Grandfather had a canoe that possibly looked like a hobo or "Tramp"? Perhaps torn, tattered and beat up? Anyhow, I just lost my Dad and tributed the restoration to him, he was my best friend and I will miss him awfully.

Attachments

• ot-guide 002.jpg
    ot-guide 002.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 364
  • ot-guide 001.jpg
    ot-guide 001.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 357
  • guide 005.jpg
    guide 005.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 348
  • guide-restoration 004.jpg
    guide-restoration 004.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 357
Sorry to hear that Chris

Sorry about your Dad, Chris. I just lost my older tripping bud too, so I know what you are going through.

I love your projects.

Cheers,

Fitz

Chris,
I got started in this hobby (obsession?) by restoring a 1929 HW that had been my father's. Even though he had been dead for nearly 30 years at that point, I felt his presence every step of the way.

Be proud of the work on this canoe and know that you father will always be in that boat, right beside you.

Nice job, nice canoe, nice tribute.

With every restoration, I am more and more convinced that these old canoes are no longer mere vessels of transport but vessels of memory.

Thanks

Gil,
Thanks for the help with the canvas. I greatly value our friendship. Dont these old canoes seem to somehow foster that? I havent met very many people that are affiliated with old canoes that dont "get it". "Love people, not stuff" is something that I get, the older I become! Thanks to all of you.

Back