Morris or Veazie with floor boards?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Can anybody provide me with pics of a Morris or Veazie equipped with floor boards? The Veazie I'm finishing up on came with one, but I'm not sure it's original. The wood is bit thicker than I've seen on other canoes, as well as a little crudely cut on the back side, and it appears it was never varnished. On the other hand the screws holding it together appear to be silicon-bronze (maybe brass?) and positioned where you'd expect for holding the thing together properly. Also, it was held in place via 4 screws threading into the ribs. I'll provide pics later once I've cleaned it up...

HI Howie - none of what you described sounds like an original Morris floor rack. Hope the classified ad photos help. They can be misleading, though - not everything in ad photos is original, of course. One of the archived ads shows a rack with numerous slats; I'm sure you know this one isn't original. Usually they had six narrow slats, 3/4' wide and 1/4" think if I remember correctly. Some very late Morris canoes had racks with only 4 wider slats. I or a number of others can provide dimensions if you decide to make a rack. A ghost on your canoe's floor might give you an idea of which type your canoe had (or maybe it didn't have one at all).

Last edited:
Howie, the 2nd and 3rd links from Bensons post show the same floor boards in one of my Morris canoes. 3 slats one each side, all the slats are the same length. Will try to get a couple pics posted.

Yeah, I'm thinking I was wrong - this is original. First, it did indeed have varnish - it was in decent condition albeit thinly applied, so it kinda blended in with the dirt. And the wood is 0.4" thick - same as the ribs. It cleaned up nice! I was hoping I could make a swivel attachment thingie ala Old Town using brass stem band material, but I'm afraid the slats are too close together for it to have room to swing out of the way.
20240808_095241.jpg20240808_153611.jpg20240808_153806.jpg20240808_153823.jpg20240808_153812.jpg20240808_153555.jpg

Howie. This floor rack is 12' 10" long. At the stern it is about 3 ribs forward of the stem, at the bow it is 2 ribs from the stem. Each end has a curved cross member to match the curve of the hull. The slats are 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick. There are a total of 5 crossmembers.

Attachments

• 4348.jpg
    4348.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221212_181748.jpg
    20221212_181748.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 34
Todd: yeah, yours has 50% more slats than mine, but the slats look to be close together like mine - too close for the swivel-toggle to work. So I assume your is screwed in place?

Would attach a couple better pics but I am technologically embarrassed at the moment. The gap between the slats is 1 1/4" and there are 4 toggles for the floor rack

The rack is neatly tacked together, no screws; the toggle bases are uniformly screwed into a rib. In my opinion very anal for lack of a better term, in a good way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with canoes in the living room... though I'll admit, I wasn't worried... :)

Back