Mocotaugan..JPG
    173 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Crooked Knifeing.jpg
    Crooked Knifeing.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Buried in shavings.jpg
    Buried in shavings.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 1,006
I tried the link, but I get a "Directory access denied" message. Is this the correct link?

Very interesting reading...thanks for posting the history of the "Crooked knife".....Hopefully, I am going to be taking a trip to northern Maine this spring, to meet a gentleman that also builds birchbark canoes in the traditional method.
you may want to visit a site that shows some of his work and how he does it.

Trying in your search menu, type in "MoreAirphotos" when you get the link ,open it and it is a professional photographers Home page about his work. but there is a section on the left that says "Birchbark Canoes" if you click on that you will be taken to photos of this gentlemans way of building his canoes and examples of what he builds and sells....Interesting looking for the curious mind!

"Life is not determined by how many strokes of the paddle it takes to get there, but rather in the JOY of the journey." (Blue Viking)

On my way!

After digging around in all the wrong places, I acquired the best lead on how to find info to make my Mocotaugan from the WCHA Forums. Got my handle made already and found a guy with a bench grinder, set up my little forge in the fireplace and I'm on my way! Again, thanks for sharing this connection.

Crooked Knife Fever

After collecting some clear, straight grain Northern White Cedar, I took one of my favorite crooked knives out of hibernation and proceeded to make the shavings fly. The thinly split sheathing makes for a cool photo:cool:

Attachments

• 100_2488.jpg
    100_2488.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 914
Nice photo Beaver. Far be it for me to question one with such skill with a knife. But aren't you supposed to split the wood not the end of your thumb??? :)

Very interedting thread. Thanks gang.

Last edited:
Back