Locating the waterline when painting

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I am about to paint the second colour on a recently built canoe. I have already put grey on the bottom. I know of the technique for transferring the waterline using a pencil on a block of wood. But how high should the block be? The canoe is high volume, 17.5 ft. Is one inch from the lowest point enough? More?

Rob

Please pardon my ignorance, but what's the point of having a color transition at the waterline? I don't understand... :confused:

Cliff

Purely decorative, unless you're applying shellac or graphite paint below the waterline, in which case it would be to make it slipperier ie. slide over rocks and logs easier.

Rob is pretty much spot on when it comes to canoes. For other boats, the painted waterline is often used as a visual aid to establishing proper trim, and in the case of boats left in all season, to separate antifouling bottom paint from topsides paint.

For canoes that are purely decorative then the waterline is just for decoration but for anyone that uses a canoe for travel or exploration the waterline is a great aid in determining how the canoe is loaded. Having the bow or stern a bit heavier or lighter is important in many different weather and water conditions and with a single colored hull it can be difficult to see exactly how its loaded.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys; my entire life's experience with canoes has been with Lakefield/Peterborough style cedar strip craft. I've been learning a lot lurking here on the forums. Maybe when we get moved up to Maine this summer I can get a good look at the canvas types (might even acquire one since they sound like pretty good boats).

Cliff

Having a white or off white color paint on the bottom of the hull is called a scuff patch. This football shaped area below the waterline neither makes the boat more slippery or fast.

But it disguises errant paddling well. Scratches do not show up as blaringly evident on white of off white or a very light grey. Flat paint disguises best.

Thank you Tom MacK!

My bottom (well, that of my canoe) is gray. I drew on the waterline about 3 1/2" up from the low spot using a Sharpie permanent marker, then masking taped near the line. Well, it ain't strictly speaking, permanent. It ran when painted. So, now I am on my third coat of paint to try to obscure the line. I did add Gelomat to flatten the paint.

Back