Just getting started

Jed1973

I just acquired an old wood and canvas canoe and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what it is I have! It has an Old Town sticker, not a plate, on it and the hardware holding the seats and thwarts to the inwales match those on a Kevlar hull Old Town I have. The number on the hull is 93820, it is 17' long and also has a small brass plaque that says it was restored in 1994 by Northern Canoe Company of Atkins, Maine. The decks match those I have seen on other wooden Old Town canoes. I could not find anything about Northern on the Internet. Any info would be greatly appreciated. This is my first restoration so please excuse me if I lean on you guys a lot throughout this process. Thanks in advance.

After a cleaning the small plaque it reads Northwoods Canoe Co in Atkinson. I have found their website.

Last edited:
Get Rollins book The Wood and Canvas canoe. Rollin Thurlow and Jerry Stelmok. It will help with your restoration. It's a must have book. you'll also get a lot of advise here. Post the serial number on this site under the serial number search section.

Started stripping the varnish this evening. I can tell a huge difference between how easily the old varnish comes off of the original cedar planks as opposed the the ones Rollins replaced in '94 when it was restored. I wish I could say I enjoyed the time I spent working on it this evening, however, that would be a stretch! At least the refreshments were cold!

Back