interested in knowing more about our canoe.

votey peter

Hello, I've attached three pics below. We have had this green canoe in our family since it was handed down to us by our aunt & uncle who lived outside Philadelphia, in the '60's. We believe they purchased it from Old Town (#77158) in the late 1940's but are not sure. Since the '60's we have kept it at Green Lake in Ellsworth, ME where family members vacation each summer. The canoe is used by a number of family members, young and old. A few years ago, one member was careless and the canoe was damaged in a lake storm. We had it refurbished by Island Falls Canoe in Atkinson, ME (Jerry). We think he did a great job. In any event, we would be very appreciative to any insight you are able to determine regarding the type of canoe, age etc. Thank you!
Best regards,
Peter & Mary Votey
Summit, NJ

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Canoe pic M&P 22.jpg
    Canoe pic M&P 22.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 59
Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town canoe with serial number 77158 is a 16 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, HW (heavy water) model with open spruce gunwales, birch decks, ash thwarts, ash seats, and a keel. It was built between March and June, 1923. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on June 20th, 1923 to Bristol, Pennsylvania. The back side of the card indicates someone with a similar name called from Summit, New Jersey in January, 1979 to get a copy of this build record information. Scans showing both sides of this build record can be found below.

These scans and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join, or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Canoes with a family connection are always extra special. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-77158.gif

OTC-77158-b.gif

Wow, thanks, Benson. I didn't realize that when i was paddling in the canoe a couple of weeks ago it was celebrating its 100th birthday! ES Votey above is my father, now deceased. Bristol, PA; I now recognize as the town where my aunt & uncle lived. I did not realize the canoe dated back to 1923 though; I thought it was 1940's, so that is a bit of a revelation. We'll take care it! And yes, I will join & donate.
Thanks so much for the info! Regards, Peter Votey

PS: and Benson, I should have mentioned that I was "introduced" to WCHA by my friend, Mike Kelly of Chatham, NJ; very helpful! Peter

Back