info on jh rushton boats

brishen870

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
IMG_9015.JPGIMG_9016.JPGI have become the new owner of several JH Rushton boats that have been in my family for 4 generations and I am wondering if anyone can give me some information about them. I have been told one is a guide boat. One looks like a canoe to me. Wood with the canvas skin missing. I don't have photos of it right now. And one looks like the large 'guide boat' but much smaller. I then contacted a gentleman who used to work at the Adirondack Museum and he told me they were Rushton Skiffs. I was wondering if anyone else out there had any thoughts or info? Many thanks.IMG_9012.JPGIMG_9013.JPGIMG_9017.JPGIMG_9018.JPG
I can post more photos if that is allowed in a second post?

By all means, post more photos. All of the boats in the photos in post 1 are Rushton pulling boats. These were offered in a wide range of lengths (from 12' to 20') and with different beams and bottom shapes. The strip deck style was introduced by Rushton in 1887. If any of your boats have a medallion or tag on them, that will help narrow down when they might have been built.

Good resources for Rushton history include Atwood Manley's "Rushton and his times in American Canoeing" (out of print but easily available through used book sites), reprints of the 1893 and 1904 Rushton catalogs are available through the WCHA Online Store (http://store.wcha.org/Historic-Canoe-Catalogs/?page=2), and a two-part article about Rushton appeared in Wooden Canoe issues 167 and 168, and are also available as back issues through the WCHA Online Store. I happen to be the author of the latter.

Best,
Dan

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry if I was not clear. There are 3 not 4 boats. It looks like two Rushton 'pulling' boats that I have posted photos of and then there is also a wood canoe with the canvas missing which I have not taken photos of yet. I am in one location and the boats are at another location right now so more photos and measurements will have to wait. As a child I remember boating in the green boat with my father. It is small. The unpainted one is very large. The large one has a cracked/broken piece of wood at the front as well as a very small puncture on one of the sides that looks to have been repaired by riveting a small piece of wood over it. The small green Rushton has the round badge as seen in the one photo. And the badge for the large boat may be in the bottom of the small boat or the wind may have blown it off in transport. It looks like it came off recently in the photo. I was in a rush to move them because my father died unexpectedly and things were starting to disappear from his property.
The boats originally belonged to my great grandfather Herbert Welsh who was philanthropist as well as the person who started the Sunapee State Park in New Hampshire. He would walk from Philadelphia to Sunapee every summer when in his 60's and 70's and wrote a book about it. He also started the Indian Rights Association which at its time was the most influential advocacy group for native Americans. At one point he toured the Sioux Nation in what is now the Dakotas with President Teddy Roosevelt to show the president the conditions. Needless to say he was a outdoorsman and owning several such boats makes sense.

Thanks for the info Dan. I will check out those printed resources. What are your thoughts on the finishes. The green paint looks aftermarket as well as touched up. Do you think the white paint on the inside of the large Rushton is original and worth keeping on it? Thanks again, Brishen

Thanks for the info Dan. I will check out those printed resources. What are your thoughts on the finishes. The green paint looks aftermarket as well as touched up. Do you think the white paint on the inside of the large Rushton is original and worth keeping on it? Thanks again, Brishen

With that style deck, those boats would have in all likelihood been varnished originally.

Dan

So at the advice of Dan Miller I began reading 'Rushton And His Time In American Canoeing' . I was interested to see in the 2nd chapter that Rushton had an exhibit at the 1876 Centennial International Exhibition of which my great great grandfather was the chairman of the board of finances and his son who was the original owner of the boats was sure to have attended as a young man. It almost makes me wonder if my great grandfather first fell for Rushton boats at this event and then later purchased these ones and if he and J. Henry Rushton met?

That would be a really neat story! Does your family have any old correspondence you can go through, or any more information about the 1876 Exhibition?

The St. Lawrence County Historical Society and the Adirondack Museum have a fair amount of Rushton archival material. I've done through the former's collection in detail, and don't recall seeing anything that might be related, but then again, I wasn't specifically looking for it.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan, The Historical Society of Pennsylvania has an extensive(120 boxes of records as well as many digitally stored files) on my great grant father as well as a collection regarding his father. I hear from family members who have seen it that it is very detailed and might have letters and or receipts regarding the boats. I will just have to make time to go there and sort through things. If such paperwork existed I would surely make copies to keep with the boats. Brishen

There’s a “mystery” about Chestnut canoes that I think goes back to their exhibiting at the St Louis World’s Fair (aka the Louisiana Purchase Exposition) in 1904. At that time Chestnut first assigned telegraphic code names to their canoe models. Three names linked to the Cruiser model from that time were Kruger, Cronje and Stoessel. Kruger and Cronje were Boer generals from the Anglo-Boer war of about time. But why pick them for association with canoes?

I think a clue is that there was an Anglo-Boer War Concession at the 1904 St Louis World’s Fair! And the Chestnut family was there.

“Different portions of the concession featured a British Army encampment, several South African native villages (including Zulu, Bushmen, Swazi, and Ndebele), and a 15 acre arena in which soldiers paraded, sporting events and horse races were held, and major battles from the Second Boer War were re-enacted twice a day. Battle recreations took 2-3 hours and included several Generals and 600 veteran soldiers from both sides of the war. At the conclusion of the show, the Boer General Christiaan De Wet would escape on horseback by leaping from a height of 35 feet (11 m) into a pool of water.”

Ken Solway, a historian of the Chestnut Company reports that in 1904 and 05 several of the Chestnut males were also active in traveling to various exhibitions for business and tourism promotion purposes, including the 1901 Chicago Sportsman’s Show.

Anatoli Mikhailovitch Stoessel was another figure from the front pages of the 1904 newspapers. Stoessel was the commander of the 3rd Siberian Corps and the Russian general in charge of the garrison at Port Arthur in southern Manchuria during the Russian-Japanese war.

Well that’s contemporaneous—but weird and obscure. According to Wikpedia, Stoessel surrendered to the Japanese under questionable circumstances, was sentenced to death in Russia afterwards, but reprieved.

Personally, I think another Boer general would have been a better pick. Obviously De Wet model canoe would have made sense.

Interesting history. These days we get such interesting names as IPhone, IPod and I Pad. I guess todays world is more about disposable junk and me, me, me. Imagine attempting to use a 2014 IPhone in 2114! On the other had a wooden boat if cared for will be fine.

So it's been a while since I have posted on here and I am not sure if a new post would be better or just adding to this one? I guess I will ad since the photos are already up and it keeps all the info more compact. I am maybe going to start making a list of what I will need to get my Rushton Iowa pleasure pulling boat back on the water. So far the bow stem will need to be replaced. I am wondering if anyone knows if the bow and stern have the exact same bend to them? My thought is to remove the whole one and make the form based on that and then stem and fit one assuming they are the same. Next question is which is better? Replacing the whole broken stem or try to make the missing part and then feather it together? I suspect all new but I wanted to know what experts think about that one. Next question is regarding the 'king plate' that sits atop the deck. Does anyone know if it should have a identification badge on a Iowa? Some have said it should and others said it does not. Does anyone have a photo or know for sure? Lastly I have a very small hole in one of my clinker planks. It is roughly patched with a piece of wood riveted in. What would be a respectable repair for this? I am thinking taking out that plank would be a ton of work and beyond any skills that I have? And to take it out would only make sense if I were going to replace it which does not seem like a great idea since it is a very small hole. I was thinking that maybe cutting out the hole with a tiny hole saw and then filling it with a small round piece of wood? Or doing the same with a square piece? Maybe some type of epoxy can be built up though without removing anything? The hole looks like someone hit a small metal rod or pointy rock. An inch or so big. Thanks a bunch.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the bow and stern have the exact same bend to them?

Yes, they should. Though the vagaries of wood and time may result in slight differences, end to end.

Next question is which is better? Replacing the whole broken stem or try to make the missing part and then feather it together?

It depends. Where is the break? Scarfing in new bits is a perfectly acceptable solution, but if the break is an area of sharp curvature, replacement might be better.

Next question is regarding the 'king plate' that sits atop the deck. Does anyone know if it should have a identification badge on a Iowa? Some have said it should and others said it does not.

Some do, some don't.

Lastly I have a very small hole in one of my clinker planks. It is roughly patched with a piece of wood riveted in. What would be a respectable repair for this? I am thinking taking out that plank would be a ton of work and beyond any skills that I have? And to take it out would only make sense if I were going to replace it which does not seem like a great idea since it is a very small hole. I was thinking that maybe cutting out the hole with a tiny hole saw and then filling it with a small round piece of wood? Or doing the same with a square piece? Maybe some type of epoxy can be built up though without removing anything? The hole looks like someone hit a small metal rod or pointy rock. An inch or so big. Thanks a bunch.

Sounds like a good place to use a dutchman. Diamond-shaped patches are less noticeable. Bevel the edges of the hole, glue in an over-thick piece, then plane flush. Stain and varnish to match.

I guess when I have the unbroken stem off I can fit it to the other end for snugness before I go on. The stem is broken close to the deck and its very straight there. Not much original wood would be saved so I am leaning towards a straight run of new stem since it seems like it might be stronger. Maybe not though. I guess I wont have a badge then. If by a miracle I find one I will ad it later. Does the bevel narrow towards the inside, outside or does it matter?
Thanks Dan.

Last edited:
So after much inner debate I am thinking the Vaux and the Iowa Pleasure Boat made by John Henry Rushton may be better off in someone else's ownership. I took a ton more photos this weekend and I found what my be an oar to the larger of my Rushtons. Over all the larger one is in decent condition. No oar locks, broken bow stem, missing king plate from the bow deck, some popped tacks, a patch in one of the lap strakes maybe a few inches long. I have a ton of photos if anyone would like to see more. The inside has been painted white however it seems to be poorly attached to the original varnish so removal and a proper finish should not be hard. The outside of the boat is not painter and most of the original varnish is gone. I few cracks but overall this boat is very original and has not been messed up. 14 feet long. The smaller Vaux has been painted green and looks to have a few very small fiberglass patches. The boat is missing the paddle, the seat and the boards that sit in the bottom. Very complete boat. I also have a Faber with 10 yards of fresh canvas ready to be restored.IMG_2367.jpgIMG_2390.jpg

Last edited:
Back