Indentification wanted!

arne

Hello, I need some help in finding out the builder of my newest Canoe. It`s an cedar canvans canoe, bought in the end of the 30ties in Canada and exported to Belgium. Three years ago it came to Hamburg in Germany and four days ago I own it. I bought it from the first owners relatives and it´s nearly original. So, about 4.5m x 0,75m x 0,65m dimensoins ( approx. 14.5ft long x 2.5ft wide x 2.1ft high)! On its stem deck is a small badge, a horseshoe and in its middle figure with helmet, wings, two snakes and the letters ABC.It would be really great if somebody has got further information about this canoe.I´ve got further fotos if somebody wants.
Thanks & regards, Arne

Attachments

• P1070062.JPG
    P1070062.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 307
  • P1070064.JPG
    P1070064.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 304
  • P1070066.JPG
    P1070066.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 305
  • P1070069.JPG
    P1070069.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 322
  • P1070070.JPG
    P1070070.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 291
  • P1070073.JPG
    P1070073.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 291
I have no clue, but I'm no expert. so that's not a surprise. I will offer a couple of observations, hoping to spark a discussion. Maybe others will correct me, and I'll learn something, too?

The inwales are cut very sharply square, which seems odd to me.

The top surface of the thwart in the foreground has a rather abrupt transition to the roundover edging. It looks to me like the router or shaper wasn't set right when it was milled, or else the top surface had to get sanded a whole lot too much. Are the other thwarts like this? Could these two features (square inwales, and the thwart surface) indicate these are replacements, that weren't done particularly well? or perhaps a homemade canoe?

It may be an optical illusion, but it looks (image #2) like the gunnels flow downward just before flowing upward at the stem?

It seems lightly built, with narrow ribs, spaced fairly far apart.

The planking seems narrower than I'm used to seeing on a cedar/canvas canoe, but wider than I've seen on all-wood cedar strips.

The word "Wonga" at the stem, followed by the 4-digit number, made me wonder if it was owned by a camp or livery somewhere along the line, though that's not consistent with its stated history. So I looked up "Wonga" on Google.. lots of definitions, including a colloquial (UK and New Zealand) slang for "money," an Australian shrub, and a campground in Australia. Some of those don't make much sense, but the other definition made even less sense... a slang term for 'Internet Slang." I think we can rule that one out?

Anyway, like I said, just hoping to spur a discussion...

Identified!!! ABC ( Aktiebolaget Bröderna Claesson )! A swedisch sporting fabrication (and export) for nearly everthing, including kayaks, canoes, little sailboats,... camping stuff. Founded 1909, closed 1982.
So this canoe made a long distance so far, Sweden, Canada, Belgium and Germany...

Attachments

• 170941.jpg
    170941.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 197
Back