I. D. Help

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
17 foot square stern . I'm hoping someone will recognize this by the deck. I've done these before , just can't remember. 7/16 or 1/2 inch thick ribs. 2 3/4 wide ribs. A really nice heavily built boat. No serial number that I can find. Thanks, Dave. I don't think those diamond head bolts on the carry handle mean anything. Can't see it being old Town.

Attachments

• IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3269.JPG
    IMG_3269.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3271.JPG
    IMG_3271.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 62
It doesn't look familar to me. Boats like this were made by a huge number of builders over the years as you probably know. Please reply here if you ever figure it out. Thanks,

Benson

Could that be a Skowhegan

The Skowhegan catalogs at the links below don't inlcude a 17 foot long boat. Didn't their boats usually have diagional bracing on the transom like the ones shown in the Sebago catalogs linked below?

Benson

I’m going to suggest that it may be a St Louis that has been restored with some changes.
Planks nailed to transom, seat rails similar, canoe style bow, arrowhead deck are all similar to St Louis and Arrowhead Canoes.
Is there evidence of sponsons?
Not much detail in the flyer below.

Attachments

• IMG_3701.png
    IMG_3701.png
    769.3 KB · Views: 17
thanks , I'll look into it a bit more. I do know that the lake it came from a lot of people there over the years had their canoes shortened to fit into their boat houses. The owner does not know if that was done to his. The three lakes there and the club is 200 years old so many of the canoes/boats there have been traded or sold between owners for a hundred years.

Back