Help with canoe identification

AlexBaker

Long story short I have just acquired my first restoration project. And would like help with identification.
It was brought to western Canada in 1905. I have pictures from the family of it from the mid 1930’s. It came from eastern Canada Ottawa area. She is 17’ long 46-47” beam depending if you include the gunwales or not and 14” deep at the widest point to the top of the ribs. The ribs are 2 3/8” wide and 1 1/4” apart. Any information or catalogues to start with would be great. I’ll continue my Internet research as well.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Best to post some pictures if you want help with an I.D. The more the better so folks can get a look at the construction. A 46-47" beam on a 17foot canoe is extremely wide. Is it a freighter of some sort?

My guess was based on the dimensions it was a freight canoe. I’ll take some pictures when I get home not sure how much they will help as it was “fixed” at some point in its life with fiberglass and ply wood seats. My hope is to bring it back to some form of respectable condition.

View attachment 53264
E9676673-B9E6-443B-BCF4-7F83E4691372.jpeg
DFE0932C-78C7-4D1F-8D16-CFEF4B1BA096.jpeg
7709DA71-70BB-4652-9F19-40DA0286D430.jpeg
BEC0DEFE-EEDF-4257-B34D-68021AC864B0.jpeg

Hi Alex
Hard to tell what make the canoe is due to the modifications.
Zooming in on the ribs and planking shows that they are pretty weak and in tough condition. Not really worth putting time in to repair or replace. To do that the glass would need to be removed to do that.
If you are set on this canoe as a user for you, I would repair any fiberglass hull issues, paint it and paddle it.
If you are looking for a wooden canoe to restore there are others that would be a better candidate.

I noticed that after a closer look last night the planking in particular looks to be in rough shape the beam width was the most interesting part of the canoe never seen one this short and that wide. In this same transaction I bought a form that belonged to a maker who passed in January.

Back