Help ! Canoe recently inherited - looking for informations

amelie

Due to very recent inheritance, I own a Canoe called Hiawatha I.C.S 32
My relatives told me that a grand grand father imported it, very beginning of 20st century.
Living in Paris/France with no space to keep it, I would like to sell it, but have no idea at all of its origins, exact construction period, and value...

I would be very grateful if you could help me to have a more precise idea ?
It's in a very good shape, have 2 wooden seats, and 2 paddles.
Dimensions are Length: 15.75 ft width 2.62ft

To help you, I enclosed few pictures.

Amelie G

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_8739.jpg
    IMG_8739.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_8740.jpg
    IMG_8740.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_8741.jpg
    IMG_8741.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_8744.jpg
    IMG_8744.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_8742.jpg
    IMG_8742.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 252
Hello Amelie,
You are very fortunate to own what is called a cedar strip canoe. These have been made in Canada for a very long time using time proven methods of construction. They are still produced in limited numbers on the same forms as they were over a 100 years ago.
There are experts that visit this form that may be able to help you to identify the maker and the approximate build date. You might provide some additional information to make their job easier.

The wooden bars that cross from one side to the other are called thwarts. On the outside of the canoe they may be mounted into a small metal plate. I can see one in one of your photos. Are there any markings or is there a name present on the plates?

The long wooden strip that runs the length of the inside of the canoe attaches on both ends below the deck to pieces that are called stems. Do you see any numbers stamped into the tops of the stems?

Underneath the decks (the pretty flat pieces the close in the front and back ends of the canoes inside) you may find writing. Look under each deck.

The boat was set up for sail...are there any markings on the metal hardware mounted in the decks?

You might also do some of your own research using Dan Millers Dragonfly Canoe Works site as a guide:
http://dragonflycanoe.com/

For valuation you might look at the classified adds on this site to get an estimate of asking prices. Sell prices are not the same.
Canoes of this style are often available in similar condition through the Canadian site kijiji.ca You might look there to get an idea of the asking prices.

Andre, not for your burn pile!

Many of these were also built in France by a variety of companies including Chauvier, Lawrence, Matonnat, Seyler, Rocca... The thwarts on yours and the manner of attaching the floorboards to the bottom of the canoe are unusual for a Canadian builders, and the folding chair in your first two photos looks like it's from a French make, so this canoe may well be from a French builder. Alternatively, the chair could have been added, thwarts changed and floorboard hardware replaced. As MGC suggested, look for markings especially on metal hardware.

Amelie,

Your canoe was most likely built by the Peterborough Canoe Co or Canadian Canoe Co sometime before 1930.
The bow thwart is a replacement and the seats are of typical French manufacture.

When shipping canoes to Europe; thwarts, seats and decks were shipped loose to allow for nesting of several canoes for lower freight costs. Because of this; the underside of seats, thwarts and decks were marked with the canoe’s model and serial number to make assembly easier. You should also be able to find a model/serial number stamped into the canoe’s bow stem.

With those numbers in hand we can tell you which model it is.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company

www.buckhorncanoes.com

Thank you all for your answers. Many tracks to explore already. I will scan my canoe this WE, and will add more info if I can find some.

Amelie

Back