Gunwale ?

tolesh

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I got some outwales from OT for my 16" yankee but the rabbet they cut is at a 45 degree angle. What is the easiest way to recut the rabbet to a 90 degree angle like the original? One of the problems is the outwales are bent so it's not easy to use a table saw and dado. Also the bend is not like the canoe, so what do I need to do to make them more flexible to conform to the canoe? I am very new at this so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

On most of the OT outwales, the rabbet is closer to 15 degrees, not 45 or 90. Since they are already prebent, a rabbet plane would probably be the most conservative and safest way to adjust the angle.

Gunnels

Don't worry about the angle of the rabbet.

If you have a swimming pool handy, or a pond, soak them in water for at least 3 days.

We will assume you don't have a steam box. SO you wrap the curved end of the gunnel in towels and pour boiling water over them. Let it brew for 10 minutes or more and pour more water on the towels every once and a while.

If you can't soak the gunnels, move right to step 2.

The bend of the radius should not be so different that you cannot muscle it into position. You will want to clamp or screw the gunnel at the midsection of the canoe and work towards the ends.

Good luck,

Paul

Back