gel coat or topside marine paint?

AndrewLegg

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have an Old Town that is wood ribbed and plank construction with a fiberglass skin from 1968. I have removed the old coatings down to the glass. Any recommendations for recoating? Should I use a gel coat or marine topside paint? Does the gel coat add a lot of wait? Durability is important. Thank you.

Gel-coating the outside of an entire hull is not a home workshop operation. It would have to be sprayed very evenly, run "hot" to harden quickly without peeling, and mixed with surfacing wax or the outside would never completely harden. The finish will be orange-peel textured after it hardens and it will all then need to be sanded flat and buffed back up to a gloss finish. It's a major job and requires a fair amount of skill or it will be a mess. There are often two to three pounds of pigment in the gel coat layer on a typical fiberglass canoe (varies by color).

On the other hand, paint can be applied with no more than a thin foam roller and a soft brush to tip it out (or even just with a brush if you're really good at brushing) and after two or three coats it will look great. It won't be quite as hard as gel coat, but the difference in the application process, the potential for it to look good, and the relative ease of eventual repair is drastically better. It also adds less weight, because it is thinner than gel coat needs to be.

Unless you have a lot of small surface imperfections to fill and sand smooth (which you should not if you did a good job of sanding) there is no real benefit to using primer between a good paint and the fiberglass. It doesn't make paint stick any better to the glass than it will by itself, and it doesn't make the paint tougher. It just adds extra work and cost to the project.

For paint, you basically have three choices. The toughest is a two-part linear polyurethane paint, such as those sold by the marine paint companies. They are the hardest, but most expensive. They are quite toxic to spray, but will go on nicely rolling and tipping with a much reduced health hazard. Even so, they may be more complex to apply then you want to get into for a limited amount of extra durability.

Option #2 would be a one-part marine enamel. This can be a traditional enamel like Kirby's, which a lot of folks use on wood/canvas canoes, or a more modern marine one-part urethane (Brightside and Easypoxy being the most popular). They will go on very nicely. Brightside is my favorite on fiberglass surfaces, rolled and tipped-out, though their color selection is somewhat limited and I often end up mixing my own blends. These marine enamels are getting expensive these days, but really do a nice job. The dark green on the sailboat hull is Brightside, applied out in my driveway. When this photo was taken, the paint job was already three years old and had been sitting outside year round, as well as out on a mooring the previous summer. It was in for spring clean-up and still looked quite good.

Option #3 would be to use a polyurethane enamel (like floor enamel) from a hardware or big box store. These may not be quite as smooth or quite as glossy as the marine enamels, but they are reasonably close, decently tough for paint, and a lot cheaper. You can buy a gallon for the price of a quart of marine enamel - and they can mix you just about any color you can dream up. The yellow Old Town is Ace Hardware polyurethane floor enamel over sanded WEST epoxy/fiberglass, rolled and tipped with no primer used. It dried with a bit more orange-peel texture than Brightside has, and a bit more of a satin look, but still looks good. Different brands seem to vary a bit regarding finished texture and gloss, but they're all reasonably durable as long as you aren't running your wooden canoe through rock gardens. Pretty easy to touch up as well. The "birchbark" stripper canoe has a base coat of Home Depot "Epoxy one-part Concrete and Garage Floor Paint" over the fiberglass, followed by a little bit of spraying in spots for color variation, followed by rolling on the little graining lines, followed by a light sprayed coat of satin conversion varnish to eliminate the gloss.

Even though any paint will scratch, I think you'll probably find that some sort of enamel is going to be your best bet. Gel coat is a pain in the rear to work with and isn't all that much better at avoiding scratches or adding durability when applied after the fact to an old hull. Plus, repainting when needed is pretty easy. My Old Town has worn three different color schemes over the last ten years. If I get bored with one, I pop the outwales off, spend about three hours with the random orbit sander taking it back down to bare fiberglass and can re-paint it the next day.

Attachments

• nordica 4.jpg
    nordica 4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 563
  • guide-007.jpg
    guide-007.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 326
  • 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 341
Sounds like a plan. The trick to a good paint job is thin even coats, which is why rolling the paint on with a thin foam roller and immediately tipping (following with a soft brush and very light strokes, just to knock the bubbles from rolling down) works so well with these paints. Drips and runs are caused by too much paint, unevenly distributed over the surface, so roll it out well. I either roll with one hand and tip with the other, or better yet, I roll and my wife follows right behind me with the tipping brush. I use the yellow foam rollers sold by the Gougeon Brothers (WEST epoxy's manufacturer) and tip with any soft brush, including cheap chip brushes from Menards or Home Depot.

If rolled on thin enough using a paint like Brightside or floor enamel, you can expect the first coat to usually look pretty bad - kind of thin and spotty, but without sags. That's OK. The following coats will fix all that. I'll generally let coats harden pretty well and then go over them with one of those green Scotchbrite pads to knock the gloss down before the next coat. Taking the gloss off seems to allow the following coat to lie down smoother. Sometimes you can wind up with a good, even coating on fiberglass with just two coats of paint (the green sailboat and yellow canoe, for example). Other times it may take three to get even coverage, depending on the amount of pigment in the paint and its color.

I will usually use the urethanes straight out of the can, with no thinner added. You need to be careful which thinners you add to some of these new paints. The directions will tell you what to use if you do thin them, and despite it probably being an overpriced mixture of common solvents, it's a good idea to stick with the ones they suggest. I once added a shot of Penetrol (a well known and well respected traditional paint conditioner) to a batch of modern enamel and it never did dry. Luckily, I made the test on a scrap, not on the boat.

My dad was a well known watercolor painter, but despite inheriting a batch of paint brushes worth up to $200 each, I never inherited the brush painting gene and am terrible at it. Rolling and tipping though, I can do - and if you're occasionally going to need to paint a boat or two it's worth learning. We even rolled and tipped the varnish on our hardwood floors.

Thanks for all this helpful info. About how many quarts of Brightside will I need for a 15' canoe? Synthetic brushes or natural fiber, or maybe it doesn't matter. Thanks

1 qrt should be enough. Are you rolling and tipping off? That is really the the best way. Use 4" roller with tray. Roll out a small area maybe 2'x2' and tip off with a 3" or 4" brush. Tipping off is just using the tip of the bristle to lightly break the roller bubbles. I lightly "flag" the tip off on a paper towel after using on each area. I usually start ever so lightly in the previously completed area. I also tip off the bow and stern going in that direction. Basically that means that you may be going in the opposite direction to what you have been working. That should not matter. My best tipping brush is not the cheapest brush but not the most expensive either. What makes it good is the feel in my hand. I would not expect anyone else to like it. Rolling and tipping off is really not hard. Usually one would only tip off the last coat. How
ever practicing on the previous coats will certainly help and give you a better feel for that final coat. Also rolling is much more efficient that brushing. I just use the cheap 4" foam rollers. Have fun.

Yep, a quart should be more than enough. After two coats on a canoe I usually have quite a bit left in the can for eventual touch-ups. I do mine a bit differently. I roll with a 7" Gougeon foam roller and tip with a soft 2" brush. You aren't moving the paint around with the brush, just knocking down any bubbles. The Gougeon rollers probably cost more than hardware store rollers, but since they are one use, the thin foam doesn't soak up a lot of expensive paint that you end up throwing away. For resin work they're also more solvent resistant than most of the cheap ones, so I usually have them on hand anyway. For canoes, I just start at one end and work toward the other so that I'm keeping a wet edge between sections and I pretty much always tip up and down (cross-wise to the upside-down hull) as it is less prone to creating curtains than horizontally tipping. Different strokes for different folks, but whatever gets the job done is fair game.

Back