Freighter canoe spray rails

Old Gaffer

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am closing in on the completion of my restoration of this 43 year old 19' Teslin Freighter https://www.flickr.com/photos/95836688@N07/albums/72157675606790204
Spray rails have come up a lot in my conversations and I am wondering if anybody has some wisdom to share as to their size and placement on the hull. So many of the photos of these freighters I see have spray rails but they are all different. They will be cosmetic (mahogany) but from people in the know, very functional.

I am closing in on the completion of my restoration of this 43 year old 19' Teslin Freighter https://www.flickr.com/photos/95836688@N07/albums/72157675606790204
Spray rails have come up a lot in my conversations and I am wondering if anybody has some wisdom to share as to their size and placement on the hull. So many of the photos of these freighters I see have spray rails but they are all different. They will be cosmetic (mahogany) but from people in the know, very functional.

I have done 3 freighters and varied the spray rails a little on each of them, hoping to find a perfect position. Each rendition is better than the others in certain sea states and loading levels, and all are functional. A 19footer is going to be suited for smaller seas, and flatter conditions so the spray rails might be best at the turn of the bilge or just above it, so it is functional when planing on flattish water.

I have done 3 freighters and varied the spray rails a little on each of them, hoping to find a perfect position. Each rendition is better than the others in certain sea states and loading levels, and all are functional. A 19footer is going to be suited for smaller seas, and flatter conditions so the spray rails might be best at the turn of the bilge or just above it, so it is functional when planing on flattish water.
Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking of placing them about 8" down from the rails which would allow me to use them for backing for the seat cleats.
As I have had zero response to the pictures I've posted on Flickr, I'm wondering if they are in a format that people can see them. Any comments?
Thanks

Back