First Strip Canoe Build Question

Lickboot

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm building a cedar strip canoe and I'm wondering if the fiberglassing and epoxy will strengthen the strips a lot and hold the canoe together, because on some of my strip joints where I glued the joints they open a little when flexed, will epoxy and fiberglass strengthen everywhere so no problems will occur. Thanks.

They will help strengthen things a lot, but aren't likely to completely cure the problem. Some resin will probably work its way down into the joints, but it won't automatically neatly fill any defects. I suppose that you might even have some air in the cracks which could bubble out under the fiberglass, which would be bad from a cosmetic standpoint. Before you start applying the fiberglass, I'd do everything I could to work some glue down into those gaps. Sometimes you can even use glue-dipped scraps of paper on edge as a means to drag some glue down into narrow cracks and splits. Flex them a bit if you can (gently) stuff some glue in there while they're open and release them.

I have viewed many edge glued strip built canoes over my head in the day light !
Most had a lot of daylight shining through the gaps between the strips. These canoes served their owners well.
Were they any weaker than those with tight joints ? I don't believe so !

I do however take great pains in sealing staple holes, and any small gaps before glassing ! ( I bead and cove all my strips)
If you don't, apply a seal coat, and while it cures, ( for the next 3 or 4 hrs) attend the hull, and watch for any resin that weeps through holes or gaps, and reseal these.

Moral of my story ? Seal your hull well, and you can skip the seal coat !

Jim

Last edited:
Yeah, a couple of the first ones (like 20) I built had light gaps. When the glass was applied they filled with the epoxy. Plenty strong, never gave me a problem. Built that way from 1987-1999; in 2000 switched to bead and cove. Slow to take on new ideas...

Back