filler

ghost paddler

Curious about Wooden Canoes
hi,want to try the filler from w/c #16. looking all over net for source of silica. it states you can get silex from pottery supply co. no can find!!can someone please help me out? where can i get it? any comments on this filler,have you tried it? thanks. mike

Hi Mike,

I have used that recipe for years now and have never had a problem with it. I do add a bit of white lead paste when I am using untreated canvas. As far as the silica goes, I bought 150 pounds about 6 years ago, and am still using that. I got it from a place in Sacramento CA. I don't remember the name of the outfit, and a quick google search didn't turn up anything. Where are you located?

Mark

Hi Mike,

I just googled pottery supply, long island, and there are a bunch of hits. I think that is how I got my silica, just by calling around and asking where they got theirs. I'll run over to my storage unit tomorrow where I have my last bag, and see if there is an address on that.

Mark

silica

have found a source of silica. it is listed as flint silica 325 mesh. can that be used in filler?? where does everyone get this stuff????????????????thanks. mike

Last edited:
Back