couple ?'s on a 1918 Old Town CS #50

Woodpile

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Getting ready to start ordering hardware but unsure about a few things:

1. Stem bands removed we're aluminum, read somewhere that Old Town did use aluminum bands on some models, would they be correct for the 1918 CS #50?

2. Have WR cedar for planks that need replacing, it looks pretty dark compared to the original planking, could it be possible that original planking is actually NW cedar even though the build record say's WR?

3. Any sources for the original oval head nails used for the top and outer gunwale?

Greatly appreciate any responses, thanks,

Don

If you have aluminum stem bands and it is a 1918, they are replacements.
WR cedar refers to Western Red. Not sure what NW is, but all cedars have color variations from one end to the other.
I would suggest that you use whatever cedar matches best even if it is not the original WR.
Assuming you have closed gunwales, the nails you refer to would be called escutcheon pins. Often available at better hardware stores or at Jamestown Distributors on-line.

On another note, at the Upper Great Lakes Regional Assembly over the weekend, I'll bet I was asked 6 times.."where is this Jamestown Distributors out of?" My reply was..."they are out of the internet"!

Thanks Dave, had a feeling 1908 might be a little early for Aluminum stem bands, trying to keep the restoration as original as possible, will replace them with brass. NW is northern white cedar, believe it's the standard for wooden canoe ribs and most planking in north east canoe's.
Been doing business with Jamestown Distributors for quite a while for wooden boat builds/restorations, they carry pretty much everything the wooden boat enthusiast might need and have some good "how to" tutorials and product descriptions.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...dwords!6456&keyword=jamestown_distributorscom

Standard for ribs,...yes.
Planking varied among builders.
Old Town would have designated "Maine cedar" (as I recall...correct me if wrong) when using white cedar.
Most Old Towns were Western Red planked....

Back