Chantiers Naval pirogue/canoe?

dwalkerman

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hey all....new to this site........interested because I just purchased a Chantiers-Naval 15.5 ' pirogue. On the front cross brace it has a brass plate that says:) the name and also DE-SARTROUZILLE (S.&-Q). It is in excellent condition. Any idea as to the year made, value, etc. I plan to use it as a conversation piece in my trout fishing cabin. Thanx all Dana

Last edited:
Hi Dana,

Sartrouville is a French city on the Seine river near Paris. 'S&O' stands for Seine-et-Oise, the département (or county or whatever) the city is in. 'Chantier Naval' in itself would not be a brand name, it's French for boatyard, or boatworks. It looks like there were many 'chantiers naval' in Sartrouville from the late 19th century to the early 1960s. Search 'chantiers navals' on this page for a few of them:

http://www.sartrouville.fr/fr/gre_page/affiche_page.asp?categorie=5&id_page=1127

Hope this helps,

Martin

P.S. If you just bought this pirogue, you probably know more about its value than most of us! ;)

Chantiers-Naval

Hey Martin....many thanx!!! I'll try to follow up on your suggested site. Dana:)

Back