Cedar rib 14'9" X 38": which model, approx build date?

PatBig

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I just bought my second cedar rib, near Paris France. The boat has the importer's plaque "Importé par l' Agence des Manufactures Américaines, Paris, 54 boulevard Haussman". Since Charles André became the sole importer in 1901 until at least WW2, it was probably imported before 1901. The boat is 14'9" long and very wide, 38". It is in pretty good shape, and show no distortion. I have not found any cedar rib with similar dimensions on any old catalogue, neither Charles André's from 1929, nor on the list published on the net by DragonFly Canoes. The thwarts look original, and so do the thwart tags but they are quite small with no inscription. The boat was converted for sculling at some point, just by adding a few pieces of hardware on the keel and gunwhales. I have started to strip what's left of the old varnish. Thanks for any assistance,
Pat
3qAV_web.jpg plaque_web.jpg dessous_web.jpg

Last edited:
Looks in good shape. I have a copy of a 1914 catalog page that lists a 15' long, 36" beam, 13" depht, it says #90. At it's longest point it probably is close to 15'. My 16' measured about 15'9" at the tips. #92 is a 16' with 38" beam, 14" depht. Are there any numbers stamped on the front coaming?

Peterborough catalog that is. And listed as a cedar rib. I think they would make whatever you wanted.

Last edited:
Thanks, it's indeed a 90. I did not spot them at first but after some cleaning I see numbers on the front coaming.
8103 90 bingo! Thanks jchu. Any chance of having a copy of the catalogue's page? I can send you scans of the French importer's catalogue from 1929 if you care.
Pat

It does throw away my theory on the importers, since the canoe was made post 1914 and imported by Agence des Manufactures Américaines, Charles Andre established 1901 wasn't the sole importer. The number of bilge keels, 8 each side, is typical of many French canoes. Some of the most popular rivers like the Drôme nearly dry out during the summer, and even in spring they are quite shallow. So regardless of your skills scraping against the bottom is unavoidable. The bilges keels on my boat are professionally fitted with copper rivets, the deeper ones are pitch pine the others oak, bizarrely.
On the 1929 reprinted catalogue I found a number 90 canvas covered. The name is Bunny, unfortunate since in my native Brittany, the French bunny is shunned by all sailors. You can't even say the name, and I won't write it. The worst luck would hit me, and my boat. It's OK to call the cursed animal "the cousin of the hare". It's a very strong belief even now especially in fishing ports, and making fun of it is bound to get you a bloody nose, and maybe a swim in the harbour.
Pat

Well it's not listed as bunny in the cedar rib canoe list.

I think bunny came along many years after yours was built. It is an early one indeed.

Attachments

• 129930697959114525.jpg
    129930697959114525.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Back