Cargo carrier

Larry Meyer

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I recently got a “new” Volvo 240 wagon. It has a Draw-tite trailer hitch. While I doubt I’ll use it for hauling a trailer, one of those cargo carriers that inserts into the hitch looks like it could come in handy. Does anyone have any experience with the brands that are out there? Cabela’s has some in the $60-100 range. Those sold by Draw-tite all seem to go upwards from $100.

I have a shop built one. One of (6) my Bro in Law welded up at his work. It is very stout and rigid and I've loaded it up alot w/ heavy stuff. It hauls gas cans behind SUVs, firewood, and more!

I'd follow the motto that you get what you pay for when shopping.

I'd recomend one that folds up when empty IF it was strongly constructed. and consider a doubler for your hitch so you could follow it w/ a Bike Rack if you want to...

Some of the cheaper ones don't apear to be strong enough for heavy loads...Trust me you will put alot of weight on it sometime...:)

I have one

My cargo hauler is aluminum and was over $200.00. i think the cabela's one is just as good, maybe better. I agree that you get what you pay for but this aluminum cargo hauler still has a steel bar (receiver) and doesn't seem to be that much lighter. Mine bolts together and the two halves aren't as rigid as steel one piece would be.

I generally go with the view that you get what you pay for. I'm going to have to find a place where I can eyeball some, instead of shopping on the Net for one. Buy cheap and then it fails and you have to replace it with what you should have bought in the first place. I bought a Coleman two burner stove back in the 70s for what seemed like a fortune (20-30 bucks, I think), but the damn thing still works.

Larry Meyer said:
I generally go with the view that you get what you pay for. I'm going to have to find a place where I can eyeball some, instead of shopping on the Net for one. Buy cheap and then it fails and you have to replace it with what you should have bought in the first place. I bought a Coleman two burner stove back in the 70s for what seemed like a fortune (20-30 bucks, I think), but the damn thing still works.

So does mine and my two mantle lantern too...$15.99 on sale...back when I graduated college...that makes 'em over 30 years old!

New Volvo 240

I would love to find a new 240 Wagon. My '91 is looking rather sad at this point. At 240K and 16 years of New England Salt it sad. This is my third in 35 years and almost 750k miles. As for putting a cargo platform out the back on a hitch, be carefull of the load. I do not recall the tongue weight limits but I would expect a heavy platform to alter its handling. My old car handled well with a relatively light tongue weight. Too bad they stopped making the real volvo! Ted Michel

I’m seeing it as just an extra shelf for bulky light items when I go canoeing camping. A duffle full of pfds and the like.

Yes, I love the 240 wagon and know many others who say, “if they were still making them today, I’d buy one in a minute.” I got one in 86 and it lasted til 2006. I found a 92with a 150k on it whose condition is, to quote my mechanic, “immaculate.” I couldn’t be happier. I’d rather drive a 92 Volvo 240 wagon with 150k than anything else on the road.

I found two Internet sites that I tracked weekly for about a year. Actually most of the low mileage 240 wagons showed up in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Spring is the best time to look as folks think about swappping 240s for the crappy Ford-vos now being made. I've seen 91-93s with as low as 100k on them. Best canoe car ever made with that long straight roof. Between the two 240s we owned from 1986 to 2006, I have 40 years of experience with Volvo maintenance, so why flush that down the toilet? Ford did and looked what happened to them.

Larry Meyer said:
I found two Internet sites that I tracked weekly for about a year. Actually most of the low mileage 240 wagons showed up in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Spring is the best time to look as folks think about swappping 240s for the crappy Ford-vos now being made. I've seen 91-93s with as low as 100k on them. Best canoe car ever made with that long straight roof. Between the two 240s we owned from 1986 to 2006, I have 40 years of experience with Volvo maintenance, so why flush that down the toilet? Ford did and looked what happened to them.

I worked w/ a mechanic who came from the GMC Truck/Volvo dealer...I noticed at lunch time he was working on this 4 cyl engine. on asking him, I found out he was 'finally' rebuilding his wife's volvo engine 'bout 380,000 or so miles...it's a shame it's now Volv-ord...

Back