Canvassing Tension?

BCam

Curious about Wooden Canoes
When canvassing a canoe, about how many pounds tension is applied to the canvas? My reason for asking is so that I can determine how much tension my anchor posts must handle.

I did mine between a tree and a house foundation.Some use a car and a tree. Seemed to be enough. Both tree and house were still in place after. Seriously this is not that hard. If you can't pull it over or out, that should be enough.

I have lag screws (with eye) into the posts in my pole barn. The screws bend a bit when I pull with the come-a-long. Use just enough tension to get the wrinkles out. It can be done by hand without the winch. I seem to recall a manufacturers comment in his brochure of x number of tons of pressure. I can't recall who that was. I'm not certain, but I don't think it's critical.

Just a SWAG from my experience using an eyebolt quick set into my concrete drive and a Ford hitch on the other end - I would guess a few of hundred pounds. I can't imagine it being much more than that. I used the upside down method and the pressure was downward on my metal folding saw horses. The legs griped a bit against the concrete and that is why I am guessing it was as much as a few hundred.

The last time I put on canvas, my "anchors" were the trailer hitch of a minivan and the frame of a boat trailer (with the 1200 lb boat on the trailer, I pulled sideways against the trailer).

It doesn't take much.

Dan

Based on your responses, it sounds like too much for my 4"x6" patio posts. I didn't think they'd work but it was worth asking.

They're only anchored to some galvanized bases which aren't designed to take too much sheer stress. I have a couple of trees that are about the right distance apart. It's not worth the risk.

Back