Canvas for Patching/Repair Kit

ozarkpaddler

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Well, due to the limited availability of Ambroid, I have ordered Loctite Fabric and Plastic Repair Adhesive http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...,k:loctite+Fabric+and+Plastic+Repair+Adhesive. I appreciate all the help I'm getting on this site! :cool:

Now, how about canvas patches? Do you'all routinely carry canvas and Ambroid/Loctite, etc in a little "Repair kit" when paddling? Or, do you just carry Duct tape and wait until you get home? :confused: I go to the BWCAW of northern MN and would feel better having a kit to patch if necessary.

Also, where is a good source of canvas for "Patches" to repair your canoes?

Thanks again!

I doctor up smaller issues with Ambroid and I carry duct tape to deal with bigger issues. I would wait until I got home to do a major repair. But, it's your canoe...do what you are comfortable with. If a canvas repair is not successful, you can always duct tape over it.

Gorilla tape is in my kit in Quetico. If that doesn't work, I just have Ferdy make a patch with bark and pitch. Luckily, it has never come to more than a minor scratch here and there.

Gorilla tape is in my kit in Quetico. If that doesn't work, I just have Ferdy make a patch with bark and pitch. Luckily, it has never come to more than a minor scratch here and there.

Now, that is ironic! I was looking through the Duct tape and remembered the last roll we bought. It was bright and colorful and the manufacturer definitely skimped on glue! So I thought, "I wonder about this Gorilla Tape?" I put it in the cart and bought it. Thought I'd mention it here and ask if you'all have tried it (LOL)? Well, I guess the Gorilla tape, it is?

Chris Pearson came to the rescue with Gorilla Tape at the Assembly last summer - patched a bit of road rash on my sailing canoe (4" hole). Went sailing all week, and if I don't find time to repair it this spring, the tape might well still be in place at Assembly this year.

I've found both Gorilla Tape and 3M duct tape to be good. I've also used brand X tapes from big box stores and have not always been pleased -- sometimes ok, more often stickum is not so sticky and/or dries out rapidly, tape itself is flimsy and thin

Check the WCHA Builder and Supplier Directory -- several sell canvas in different weights for a few bucks by the foot.

Greg

Check the WCHA Builder and Supplier Directory -- several sell canvas in different weights for a few bucks by the foot.

Or just ask a friend here. Many of us probably have piles of scrap canvas left over from canoe canvassing jobs. If not made into mits for the next filling job, the scraps tend to pile up.

Canvas (at least the kind you cover a canoe with) is too thick to use as a patch - it will just stick out from the hull and get worn off. You want thinner fabric. Bandanna is commonly used, although I prefer old bedsheets since they have higher thread counts and make smoother patches. If you fray the edges a little bit and are attentive with the application of the ambroid you can make a pretty fair patch. Duct tape will work as a temporary patch, but it will not last as long as a properly done ambroid-and-cloth patch and will leave adhesive residue when you take it off. I would recommend not using duct tape, and making a proper patch the first time.

Canvas (at least the kind you cover a canoe with) is too thick to use as a patch - it will just stick out from the hull and get worn off. You want thinner fabric. Bandanna is commonly used, although I prefer old bedsheets since they have higher thread counts and make smoother patches. If you fray the edges a little bit and are attentive with the application of the ambroid you can make a pretty fair patch. Duct tape will work as a temporary patch, but it will not last as long as a properly done ambroid-and-cloth patch and will leave adhesive residue when you take it off. I would recommend not using duct tape, and making a proper patch the first time.

Thanks again! Always have a few bandannas anyway, so that is perfect. Between that and my Gorilla tape I (and my boat) out to be "Covered" both figuratively and literally! Thanks everyone!

Back