Cabin Find

Smith20b

Hello, My family purchased a cabin a few years back and shoved up into the rafters of the shed was this Old town sailing Canoe. After digging through the rubble, I believe I was able to find everything required for sailing. I am looking for more info on this Canoe if anyone would be willing to help. Also very curious about the painted rabbit on the bow. Is that from the manufacturer or was it painted on the bow? I have two paddles with the matching emblems. Unfortunately the owners of this Canoe have passed so I have no one to reference. Thanks for your help!

Ben

IMG_9109.jpg
20240804_144951.jpg

That looks like an OTCA but more interesting is the number stamping, the last digit looks like both a 7 and 8 were stamped.
I wonder which is correct.

Someone will soon be by with the build record and we will know.

Enjoy,
Dan

Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town canoe with serial number 148917 is a 17 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, Otca model with red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, and a keel. It was built between May and July, 1947. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It was shipped on July 21st, 1947 to Woodruff, Wisconsin. A scan of this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. The build record has no mention of a rabbit design so that was probably added after it left the factory. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-148917.gif

Benson,

Thank you for the information! It has already been a big help. My family and I look forward to sailing this Canoe for many years to come. It is in great shape. I will be sure to reach out with questions as they arise!

Thanks again,
Ben

Ben,
Thrall Boat Works was the largest dealer of Old Town canoes in the area( I live in Boulder Junction). They also did a lot of repairs and took on building of Rhinelander Guide Boats after the factory shut down.
I have 20+ years of wood canoe restoration. Let me know if you have any questions about your canoe.

Regarding the rabbit; I'd like to see a higher resolution close up photo. Nanabush/Nanabozho is an important character in Ojibwe cultural beliefs, often shown smoking a pipe, sometimes with a walking staff. I have never seen him depicted paddling a canoe.

Attachments

• Nanabush.jpg
    Nanabush.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 31
Beautiful boat and rig. The sail appears to be cotton, it may be fragile. Many have lost their shape and will not sail upwind, but even some very old and decayed sails will still function. Good luck with it.

John,

The sail seems to be the original. It was stored in a cool dry place with good air movement. I sailed it into the wind the weekend the boat was resurrected. One small hole which I assume was wear and tear.

Back