Backwards Chestnut

jlarrabee

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hey guys, I've posted about this 16' Chestnut before, but something has got me wondering. I was stripping the fiberglass when i looked on the inside of the canoe and noticed its "serial numbers" and chestnut marking are located in the stern. They seem to be original since the edges of the sticker are showing up on the inner gunwales.

My question is, Should i switch the seats since the gunwales, stems and deck plates need work, or should I leave it because it is different?

Attachments

• IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4382.jpg
    IMG_4382.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 236
After restoring many Chestnuts I have found that about 30% have the serial numbers on the stern stem face so there is nothing unusual about this. Having the Chestnut deck decal on the stern is rare. Someone at the factory screwed up so you have several choices including: 1- Leave it as is if you are retaining the original decal. 2- Switch the bow and stern decks keeping the original factory decal. or 3- Remove the original decal and instal the replacement decal on the bow deck where it should be.

Eventually I will sell the canoe, would the value be any different, or is it just a cool story to show the decal in the wrong spot?

I have an Old Town that's backwards exactly like yours. I'm planning to put the replacement decal on the stern deck to keep the tradition, but I'm also not planning to sell it.

Back