1960 O T Guide

joseph

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Just a couple of quick refinishing questions . 1. does it make a difference whether I varnish the interior first and then re paint the canvas after ? 2. the entire floor has 1/2 ribs , some of them are loose at the ends, since the canvas is in good shape I didn't want to remove it and re nail the rib ends, can they be glued ? or should they just be left as is. ?

I'm not sure why, but I always varnish before canvassing and painting..... I think early on I had an issue with varnish solvents softening cured filler on canoes with planking gaps.
If you are not going to remove the canvas, I would leave the half rib ends loose. Firstly there is no good way to clamp them down, secondly, someday someone may want to make a correct repair... Gluing may just muck that up...

Welll, after pondering this I may just make a small incision in the canvas , nail and repair the canvas after.

Ya know Joseph, that's an interesting question. If the canvas is in good shape, why not repair loose ribs by tacking with the canvas in place? It'll look no worse than poking a hole in the canvas. It'll be easy to do, won't leak, and a dab of paint will cover the top of the tack. Plus it's completely reversible if/when the canvas is replaced in the future.

Back