Summer Travels - North Maine Woods

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
I am sure folks have been out paddling some this summer. Let's see your photos.

We did our annual car camping excursion to the North Maine Woods. The August trip is pretty laid back with lots of cooking and hanging around in camp. We did mount an expedition into the dreaded Ice Cave on Allagash Lake. Allagash Lake is difficult to get to. That's a Good Thing.

Fitz

Attachments

• African Queen.jpg
    African Queen.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 531
  • Breakfast.jpg
    Breakfast.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 518
  • Dessert.jpg
    Dessert.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 519
  • Brendan.jpg
    Brendan.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 521
  • Ice Cave.jpg
    Ice Cave.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 517
  • Camp.jpg
    Camp.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Yep. The outlet is kind of a half mile long sluiceway, with a sandy bottom. A couple of beaver dams were thrown in to maintain head. The kids and dog had a great time. Some leech removal required.

Well, we have quite a few kids to feed, so what you see is the Appetizer! The kids are getting old enough now to do some of the cooking, driving and other chores. The parents are getting older too, unfortunately!

Bacon in the frypan, where are the brook trout? Pic 6 I get a kick out of the covered up license plate John. I would probably cover it up to if I had one of those red ones!:)

Ah, there it is , the wheeled transport. And here i was in awe thinking you portaged the dutch oven and all that cast iron - i have to quit going straight to the pictures and read more...

Hi Kim:

I suspect that the water level would be fine barring a drought. There were two 4 ft plus high beaver dams maintaining head. The bigger issue is that much of the route requires wading (up to waist deep) so pick a warm day or use some waders.

I trekked into Allagash Lake from Johnson Pond last week (September 10). My group had to lift/drag our canoes over three beaver dams, and also a few shallow spots in the outlet. Streamflow in Allagash Stream to Allagash Lake was good. Departing the lake a couple of days later, despite abundant rainfall, the streamflow was low enough to require lifting and lining in many places - not the unobstructed and effortless run the stream usually (for me, anyway) provides from Allagash Lake to Chamberlain Lake.

Last edited:
Back