started - stem and station 6

wapitiscat

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm in the process of making the form for my first model and think I've made enough progress to justify a new thread. I have a question regarding the positioning of the stem profile relative to the last station (station 6 in this example of an Atkinson Traveler). I made the station molds based on body plan lines I got with the full plans from Northwoods Canoes. I made the stem profile from the sheer plan. I adjusted the dimensions of the station molds to account for the thickness of ribs and planking but didn't alter the line of the stem profile. Given all this, how should the stem and station mold 6 line up at the keel line (that seems like a good reference to the "bottom" of the hull)? If I line them up at WL-17 then the stem is proud of station six which would make sense if I were building a true solid form with a stem backer, etc. It seems like I should stay true to the waterlines. Also, while I wait for you guys to set me straight, I'll make a stem profile from the table of offsets and see how that sits. I'll get some pictures up to provide solid evidence that I'm taking this way to seriously :)

Edit: After thinking on this a bit more I think it's as simple as taking the stem dimension off the profile since the stem profile was lifted directly from the sheer plan. Doing that would get things really close and would only require a little bit of fudging to get everything oriented for me too carve the stem channel back between stations 6 and 5.

Todd

Last edited:
Back