Reference for building a feathered kayak paddle

mimstrel

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone have a good reference for building a feathered kayak paddle? I've got a collapsible paddle that came with the POS inflatable I used in Alaska... the paddle was serviceable enough and came home, the kayak did not. But if I'm building a wooden kayak, I feel like it would be nice to have a wooden paddle to go with it.

But I like about 20-30 degrees of feathering to my paddle... not so easy to make as a flat one!

Thanks!

It's generally a good idea to orient the grain of the shaft to the power face of the blades the same way on both ends of the paddle. this keeps one side of the paddle from having different flex characteristics from the other side. For this reason, most wooden paddle shafts (whether solid or laminated) are made in halves, oriented to their blades and then joined at center, forming whatever feather angle is desired with either a long scarph joint (8:1-10:1) or with a ferrule if they are take-apart paddles. Some of the new ferrules are awfully nice with easily adjustable feather angles from zero degrees to ninety degrees. Might be worth looking into.

I've used a carbon fiber ferrule a few times. Its very nicely made with no slop. The stops are set for 0, 45 and 90 degrees. You do have to decide before hand if you are setting it for right or left hand control. You could probably set it for 20/30 degrees if you substitute that for the 90 but them your 0 and 90 positions are off by the same amount.

I've bought mine from CLC and Noah's if you'd like other supplier options.

Thanks!

It will be at least a couple of months before I need a supplier for a ferrule, but it's good to know what the options are!

Back