Quetico Provincial Park

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
I was recently very fortunate to paddle Quetico Provincial Park with Dave Osborn (aka Davey-O), Dale Remmers (aka-Dale ARRRRR!), and national treasure, Ferdy Goode (aka the Ferdinator). We spent 7 days and entered at Dawson Trail. It was wilderness lake travel at its best. The band of brothers camped at three locations on Pickerell Lake, which is a very large body of water. Fire wood was plentiful. Temps ranged from 35 to 80 f. Fishing was awesome. (I caught Walter). As far as wildlife, we saw all the usual suspects. The scenery was breath taking. Dave Osborn was expedition leader and chief cook. Ferdy also pitched in with some cooking. We ate very well. There was one mishap with a plate of noodles and venison tenderloin. Ask Ferdy about it. We ate fresh fish just about every day. Dave's beautiful Thompson Indian and my 18' Penn Yan Guide replica, my fifth canoe, performed well.

Attachments

• Quetico Provincial Park.jpg
    Quetico Provincial Park.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 541
That's it? One photo? I don't see any fish, or anything else to eat for that matter. And I'd be willing to guess the Ferdinator travelled in a traditional craft.

It was my honor to have Ferdy paddle bow in my 18' w/c canoe. And there are photos. Tons of them. I'll post more once I get them looked over and organized. I'll see what I can do tonight. Pretty nice province you got there.

Here's a few more

A few more shots.
1. Our canoes
2. Ferdy solo in my canoe.
3. Ferdy landing 'my walter'. And we did release him. Caught on Pearl Zonker on 6wt Orvis 9' rod.
4. Fresh fish was a daily event. Awesome!
5. Reflections of a bent tree island.

The wood canvas canoes added so much to the experience.

Attachments

• 101_1720.jpg
    101_1720.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 526
  • 101_1685.jpg
    101_1685.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 502
  • 101_1624.jpg
    101_1624.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 551
  • 101_1722.jpg
    101_1722.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 510
  • 101_1771.JPG
    101_1771.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 509
Dave, thanks for sharing. The photo of the smallmouth on the popper is priceless. Glad you went and had such a great time.

Hi Gil, we got photos of Northerns and Smallies with poppers in their mouths. I got bit off a couple times but 15# flourocarbon line generally held up well. Dave O. has a photo of my nicest smallie. I made poppers from flip flop foam. End of season Florida flip flops are cheap. I call it the End of Season Sale Florida Flip Flop Foam Fly.

100_1213.jpg100_1212.jpg100_1181.jpg100_1170.jpg

1. "Big Red"...Thompson Indian loaded w/ gear
2. Canoe builder and wreck restorer, Dave Wermuth, in "Ol NO. 5"
3. Ferdy's favorite...Lake Trout!
4. da Ferdinator and Dave Wermuth, (who somehow escaped without a nick name) "smoothing it in da nort contree".

It was a wonderful trip. It was my first. Ferdy, Dave, and Dale have been many times before. I kept saying, "look at that". And "wow". The fishing was very good. Temps ranged from 35 to 80 f. Wind and rain came and went. It was much fun. restorative to the soul.

Just beautiful!

Thank you for sharing! The scenery is so lovely and the fish huge! You could make a nice calender!

Nice trip, thanks for sharing, Quetico is a wonderful place and your pictures show it best with those wood canvas canoes.

Dave, the trip looks great, never been to Pukasaw, but just got back from a week "in da bush" at Killarney Prov Park with our scout troop....ahh the education of yound men and canoes!!
These trips restore my soul...even if vicariously through you fellows, wish I could have been there as well. Randy

Back