Old town mast seat

Jon k

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello all I haven't posted in a long time life keeps getting in the way. I am slowly getting back to restoring my 1938 ot hw sponsed canoe. I am setting it up to sail.I picked up a nice hand camed mast seat. The brass mast ring in the seat is held in by bronze oval head slotted screws that are missing.I have the mast thwart that came with the old town sail rig.I have those screws they are 3/4 inches long but a larger diameter hole in the mast ring for the thwart than the seat ring.What is the proper screws that old town used to hold the mast ring in the seat.The seat is a 1921 aa grade seat Also where can they be found I don't need 100 screws just 4 to make it look Orginal. Thanks Jon K.

I checked the screws in the mast seats of a CS grade from 1919, an AA grade from 1936, and a 1959 (after the grades had been eliminated). I was surprised to find three different sizes. I don't have a micrometer but was able to use the holes in a box of drill bits and the table at http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Wood-Screws/Wood-Screw-Diameter.aspx to estimate the sizes. The 1919 screw fits best in the 9/64 hole which is probably a number six, the 1936 fits the 5/32 hole which may be a number seven, and the 1959 fits the 1/8 hole which might be a number five. A good hardware store should be able to sell you four 3/4 inch long brass screws in one or all of these sizes. The picture below may also help showing the oldest on the left and the newest on the right. Good luck,

Benson

Attachments

• Screws.jpg
    Screws.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Thanks every one I looked in the big box stores all philips head screws. found them at Jamestown distributors 100 screws $7.72 a box $10.35 shipping. If any body needs 3/4"# 6 brass slot head screws I still have 96 of them LoL Thanks Jon K

Back