Next up, Beth

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
For my American friends, a strange item - Stanley 8m tape (26')
seems the aussies are more metric than the Canadians, needed to buy a metric tape to decipher the plans. Odd that I've not needed one till now, even the trades are largely imperial.
Photos attached, most have likely been seen before.
Stay tuned...;)

Attachments

• beth1.jpg
    beth1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 584
  • Beth8.jpg
    Beth8.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 562
  • kanangra1.jpg
    kanangra1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 567
  • P1080255.JPG
    P1080255.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 570
Pidgin Measurement

Didnt know birds had a use for measuring. Wow, touchy subject. Is this the guy that spearheaded the drive to rename french fries Freedom fries?
In case you missed it, I wasnt advocating we quit doing those loveable fractions, just showing y'all a weird tape.;) ;
Dan, when you come to Killbear next year feel good that while we'd have to drive 833km to get to you, you only have to do 518 miles to get to us. Now if that isnt incentive enuf to show I dont know what is.
Désirent ardemment les mesures impériales de phase!!

Last edited:
metric system

Interesting rant the gentleman has, though he misses some rather salient points about the metric system. I won't go into them here (we can take it off line, if anyone cares), but this appears to me to have been written by someone who never really understood the topic upon which he expounds. The internet is a wonderful thing -- everyone can express their oprinions -- unfortunately, we're getting that "million monkeys typing out the works of Shakepeare" effect. There's a lot of "pseudo-science" out there, too; real scientists find great amusement in their rantings, but shudder when they realize that non-scientists who read that drivel may not realize that what they're reading is drivel.

I, for one, rather enjoy the metric measurings in my shop. Try dividing 19&7/16" into 3 equal parts and you'll understand why! And I'm a State-sider!

Try dividing 19&7/16" into 3 equal parts and you'll understand why!

No harder than dividing 49.37125 cm into 3 equal parts... Don't need a calculator for either (though I should probably add the InchMate Pro calculator to the tool thread...!) :)

And Andre, while you are reacquainting yourself with your meterstick, don't forget you have to build Beth upside down, after all, she's an Aussie design...

I use a fine ruler and a thick pencil...! But before coffee I just cut and paste from the conversion widget....

Remember, boatbuilders shouldn't do math.

Well I use a metric Ruler when I get Metric plans from the 9/10 ofthe world that use them.Of course being a North American boatbuilder over the age of 40 with great respect for my Forebearers(not furbearers)I build and restore in good old Imperial measurements.
Occasionally I have to use Cubits but there isn't much call for that these days.
John

I'll go with Smoots.Seems so uncomplicated.
However since a Boatbuilders Math is all done on a tapemeasure or by fractions of a thumbnail I will need a roll up measureing tape in Smoots.
Pray;Where do I find one,and,are they legal in Canada?
John

I realize that this has nothing to do with canoes but the list of unusual units of measurement includes my favorite, the Microfortnight from VMS. I worked in the VMS development group many years ago along with Stan Rabinowitz who wrote a very detailed response to another time question from a customer. HP now owns VMS and they still have his response posted at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/year-2000/leap.html if you are curious.

Benson

I have long thought we could have the best of both imperial (easy divisibility of 12) and metric (decimals instead of fractions) if we just went to a base 12 number system. How hard could that be?
Of course I'd have to grow two additional fingers. :rolleyes:
________
R69S

Last edited:
Back