Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Maryland & Virginia visit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thompsonboatboy, Oct 9, 2006.

1. thompsonboatboy

thompsonboatboy LOVES Wooden Canoes

I will be heading to Newport News, Virginia and Annapolis, Maryland the week of 16 October. I will be at the Mariners Museum in Newport News and am picking up a Thompson woody power boat in Annapolis to pull back to Minneapolis.

Any "boaty" things to do in the general area? Any other "stuff" that I shouldn't miss (historic Jamestown, Yorktown battle site, etc...)? Anyone in the area wanna get together and talk boats?

Andreas

2. Wetweasel

Wetweasel WCHA #8341

Are you looking for places to paddle, or are you being a dry tourist this trip? As the saying goes it's hard to swing a dead cat without hitting a historic area around here. With the weather cooling off here I would recommend crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel when making your way from Newport News to Annapolis. That would bring you up the Eastern Shore which starts as a series of barrier islands and is beautiful and the mosquitoes should be mostly gone by now. That's just off the top of my head. I know there are some others from this area who may have suggestions.

3. Ric Altfather

Ric Altfather WCHA #4035

4. OP
    OP
    thompsonboatboy

Thanks for the input. I have no intention of boating (paddle, sail, or stinkpot) but will not pass if an opoortunity drops in my lap.

My main reason for the trip is to get a Thompson power boat located near Annapolis to pull back to Minneapolis. I will also go to the Mariners Museum at Newport News, VA to do some research.

Andreas

5. OP
    OP
    thompsonboatboy

Hi, made it back from the Coast with a Thompson power boat in tow! I did go to the Chesepeake Bay Maritime Museum at St. Michaels, Maryland. Neat place. And lo and behold, who do I bump into, but a classic boaty froend form Minnesota! I did NOT get to Annapolis downtown or do any other boaty stuff. Just didn't have time.

Andreas