Deck Size

RoadRunner

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hey All -

Installation is pretty far off (haven't glassed the outside yet), but I'd like to get started on crafting the deck. Canoecraft gives good general instruction, but not very clear re how to determine the rough measurements. How can I figure this and what should I be thinking about when determining the size? Thanks to all for your priceless guidance.

Deck size is one place you do pretty much anything you like, and get away with it. I've seen several that didn't have a deck, and a some two foot long.
It's one of those things the builder needs to decide.

Jim

What Jim said.

If you go without a deck, you might want to put short carry thwarts in, maybe 6" or so from each end, so you have something to grab. Attach them under the gunnels, just like regular thwarts.

For fitting the decks into the ends of the canoe, I trace an approximation of the deck shape onto poster board, then trim to fit. Then you can use the poster board to draw a cut line on the actual deck. Cut just slightly oversized (1/16"), then use a straightedge and a pattern routing bit to keep the sides straight. Watch the wood grain direction as you rout, and be prepared to trim a bit of an undercut by hand when doing the final fitting. The sides of the canoe at the stems may not be perfectly vertical...

Guys talk, and word gets around... That's how I know. :rolleyes:

Back