16' Old Town Information

dgd888

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I recently inherited my Dad's Old Town canoe. I know he got it from his uncle before WWII, but I would love to know more about this family heirloom. It is #53046. I appreciate your help.

Somebody with the Old Town records will be along with the detailed build sheet, but until then... I have #52727, and it was built in 1918 - 1919. Yours is well before WW2, probably 1919.

Cool boat! What kind of condition is it in? Post pictures?

Thanks for the info. I spent a lot of time paddling in northern Wisconsin with my Dad in this boat when I was a kid in the 1950-60's. And he did the same in the 1930-40's. It has always been stored inside but it is due for a restoration. Canvas is heavily checked but intact. All wood is sound but it needs new varnish. I am torn between fixing or selling. My thing is old Porsches, so I don't need another hobby! But my plastic Kayak and fiberglass canoe are just not the same, as I am sure you can understand. I attached a couple pics for you, including one from my Dad's photo album. Very iconic, I think...

Dave

scan0013.jpgP6290257.jpg

Wow, looks like it's in great shape! Yep, the wooden ones are way better than plastic & glass, no doubt, especially with the family history behind it. Another option, if you don't want to do the work yourself, could be to pay someone to fix it up for you. Check out the Builder's & Suppliers Directory, from the home page.

I noticed you're in Deer Park -- not far from me, I'm in Gurnee. Practically neighbors! There are folks around here who can help with restorations, with guidance and maybe even hands as needed. Just sayin...

Looks like a very nice canoe! I'm not into cars, but if I had a Porsche that belonged to my dad, and we shared some time in it, and all it needed was new tires and a paint job I would likely try to hang on to it. I hope you decide to keep it in the family, but if you don't you have found the right place to get it a new home. The folks around here treasure these old canoes! Thanks for sharing the pictures of it.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 53046 is a 16 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, HW (heavy water) model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks, birch thwarts, birch seats, and a keel. It was built between January and May, 1919. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May, 14th, 1919 to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with your decision.

Benson

Attachments

• 53046.gif
    53046.gif
    311.2 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
I have a book on restoring wood-and-canvas canoes and it looks like the only really hard part is the jig to stretch the canvas. You need a big space, a winch, etc. I suppose it is better to have too many hobbies than not enough.

Since you are in Gurnee, you probably get up to WI occasionally. That is where I grew up and where I do most of my paddling, biking, fishing, etc. I have a couple friends with cottages up in Minocqua and never tire of going up for a long weekend.

Now that I have the build history from Benson, I need to solve a mystery: how did my Dad come to own a canoe in Chippewa Falls that was delivered to Philly? Fun stuff...

Upon further reflection: while I was surprised that my Dad's boat started life red rather than green, a repaint is not uncommon. But going from 16' to 17' is difficult, to say the least. Then I checked the numbers and realized you gave me information on 52046. My boat is 53046. Judging from the old records you are working with, it must be hard to make out a lot of the details, but I am hoping you can find something on 53046. Thanks again for your efforts...

Delivered to Philly, returned for repairs, sold to someone else, location unknown... Many of these canoes don't wander far from their original destination (mine were sent to Milwaukee and Chicago), but sometimes they harbor stories.. but since we don't know the REAL stories, can we make them up (lol)?

I checked the numbers and realized you gave me information on 52046. My boat is 53046. Judging from the old records you are working with, it must be hard to make out a lot of the details, but I am hoping you can find something on 53046. Thanks again for your efforts...

Oops, I inadvertantly merged your request with Paul's reference to his canoe number 52727 and missed the right record. My original message has now been corrected with the proper information and scan for your canoe. Sorry about that,

Benson

Okay, Benson, blame me, I can take it! LOL :D

So it originally shipped to Chip Falls, and hasn't really traveled that far after all. A mystery solved!

Back