What can you tell me about this canoe? (pics)

Rotti123

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I'm looking at this wood and canvas canoe. It's 17 feet long, nice and light but in fairly bad shape. I'm not sure how bad. Maybe it would need a complete restore or maybe it's not worth restoring. There are two cracked ribs. some rotted wood here and there. The planks feel kind of soft to me. Maybe it's just because they are thin. I've never looked close at a wood and canvas canoe before.
Anyway I'm thinking of buying this for a project and I was wondering what the experts think of it.
Thanks for taking the time....

PHOTOS:
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/Rotti123/Canoe/

Last edited:
I believe what you have is a very restorable +- 1970 Chestnut Cronje cruiser. It has had extensive past repairs but that only adds to its character. Not worth a lot due to the condition but will be a sweet paddling solo or tandem canoe once completed. If the price is right I would buy it.

Thanks a lot for the info. I can get the canoe for next to nothing. I just have to decide if I have room to work on it. Thanks again.

-Darrell

On a personal note, what I can tell you is this:
1. one leads to more
2. if your house has a carhole (some foolishly park cars in them) you have a workshop
3. go get it, you wont look back

How you've bee flyfishing and living in NB without a canoe is beyond me!:eek:

Andre Cloutier said:
How you've bee flyfishing and living in NB without a canoe is beyond me!:eek:

Waders. :) I really enjoy wading the rivers for brook trout and salmon. The canoe will be for paddling and maybe a little fishing too. :)

I think I'll try to grab the canoe later today.

I'm no canoe expert but that canoe looks worth getting to me. I just finished canvassing and sealing a 26' Chestnut in Hampton NB so if you are near and want to see let me know. We will be using it for fly fishing on the Restigouche River as well as running the local rivers with the kids.

Now you've done it!! I started just wanting to have an old canoe to float around in at the local lake and now I've got an ever expanding fleet. Soon I'll have more boats than the Canadian Navy.;) What's up with that?

It's an excellent book recommended by MGC and if you have the extra cash get the other one by the same guys. I find them both very valuable and a constant source of information.

http://woodencanoe.org/catalog/prod...d=412&osCsid=fa779cdb36ff2c7fda620ae0e2903136

Have fun and keep us posted on the progress.

Multiplying like fruit flies

Scot T said:
Now Soon I'll have more boats than the Canadian Navy.;) What's up with that?

get the other one by the same guys. I find them both very valuable

Once you are hooked there is no turning back. Today I told my neighbors about the Rushton I am picking this weekend and they looked at me like I was former governor Spitzer. The damned canoes multiply!
I'm thinking someone needs to give me a Willits;)
Jerry's second book is also a great resource but if I picked one to start with I would go for the one he and Rollin authored.

Mike

Trade you a Willits for the Rushton! Seriously though, what kind of Rushton? I had an Indian Girl at one point, but it went away during my divorce.

Mark

Hmmmmm

Was the Indian Girl that went away in your divorce a canoe or your ex?
This is also an IG. It's my second one. It has long decks and a sail. It's kinda rough so I may be willing to make that trade. ;)

Back