Ufo

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Anyone have an idea of who might have built this canoe? I have not seen it in person and am told there is no serial number. Sorry for the poor pictures, they came from the sellers ad.

Thanks
Jim C.

Attachments

• RocklandCanoe1.jpg
    RocklandCanoe1.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 328
  • RocklandCanoe2.jpg
    RocklandCanoe2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 322
  • RocklandCanoe3.jpg
    RocklandCanoe3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 312
Bob's

Looks very similar to my Chestnut Bob's Special (15 ft?). Look for 1/4 inch thick ribs. The heart shaped decks were used on older Chestnuts.

Yes, it's 15 feet. Should have mentioned that the first time. I thought it looked like a pre-fire Chestnut. The inwales do not appear to be tapered at the ends but the pictures are not clear enough.

Very round bottom. Outwales appear to be different wood than inwales.

Fitz, thanks for your thoughts.

Jim C.

I have some better pics I can upload but they aren't in this computer. I contacted the seller out of interest (I don't plan to buy) because it was "an Old Town"-- NOT... and I was curious about it. Seller seemed very nice and interested in what it might be, so I'd planned to post exactly as you have, Jim!

Some more pictures of the presumed Chestnut.

Attachments

• cl canoe.JPG
    cl canoe.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 297
  • cl canoe2.JPG
    cl canoe2.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 280
  • cl canoe3.JPG
    cl canoe3.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 297
  • cl canoe 4.JPG
    cl canoe 4.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 298
Fitz is correct; this is a Chestnut Bob’s Special.

However, it is not a pre-fire model as suggested; the pre-fire Bob’s model (before Dec 1921) looked significantly different. They had a flatter bottom, tumble-home, seats mounted directly below the gunnels (no spacer), higher ends, a differently shaped thwart and a heart-shaped crowned deck with a nice front edge undercut.

I think this is an early 1950's Bob's.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company

Last edited:
Back