Ufo

KAT

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Here is what we have now... 16 foot long, 34" wide at the tumblehome, 12" deep. Planking is 3 7/8" wide. Ribs are 2 1/4" wide with 1" spacing and are tapered. Heart shaped decks with the leading edge chamfered, full cant rib, not thin and wide.

The serial number appears to be 15490 44. The break in the stem may or may not have destroyed any other numbers and the 1 may not be a number at all, there is a deformation in the wood there. From research so far, it doesn't appear to be any of the known serial number combinations, except for a wrongly administered Canadian perhaps, with the model number after, although that model doesn't fit the dimensions of this craft. The model 44, Balmy, would be 15x34x12 and measured to the extreme outside of the stems this is 15'10". 44A or 44B would fit but the letter just isn't there that we can see.

I just noticed the ribs at the decks are full under the deck but thinned beside the decks and the inwales are tapered as well.

Another oddity is it has never had a keel. No screw holes at all.

The decks are heart shaped but thin, not even 3/4" thick although they were shaped to follow the inwale curve. The inwales, decks and thwarts are all nice and light coloured but the dark colour of the hull is due to the fact someone used stain on it, like some deck stain. It seems to come off easily enough so it would appear it was stained over the varnish. Likely attack the stripping this weekend so will know better soon enough.

Considering I have no history with canoes made with tapered ribs, is it unusual that they are not all the same size, meaning, the tips are different widths where the meet the inwales. It is more like they were hand done rather than using a jig to produce many at a time.

It apparently resided in NW Ontario before winding up in Winnipeg.

The sailing rig that came with it will likely just be sold off since we may just use this boat for our tandem tripping upon it's completion.

So, let the games begin, any ideas or will it just remain a UFO?

Attachments

• Serial Number.jpg
    Serial Number.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Bow cant ribs.jpg
    Bow cant ribs.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Stern deck.jpg
    Stern deck.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 325
Hi Kat
Not a pro but methinks you have a boat from Peterborough- perhaps not a Pete though; ribs and planking look alot like my Canadian (circa 50's), deck looks alot different though. Perhaps take a look at WCHA classifieds at a Canadian for sale here out of Prince George and maybe something will look similar. I have many more pics of that one (51 pleasure or cruiser? no numbers) and my own, if they might help let me know and I'll figure how to send when I get home on the weekend. I think the fellow from Buckhorn Boats, being right in the area, knows the Peterborough builders well and may be able to help.
Happy paddlin

Hi Kat,

You most likely have a Canadian Canoe Co canoe, the #44 pleasure model later on in their advertising material called the "Chinook". This style of heart shaped deck, as well as the absence of the thin and wide cant ribs, are typical for CCC canoes built before WWII.

You have a very a nice paddling canoe.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company
www.buckhorncanoes.com

Cool, thanks garyh and Dick.

This will be the oldest boat yet for me, and they are getting better with age. It looks to be requiring extenisve stem work which I won't be tackling until this winter likely.

I'm figuring this will be the last boat I rebuild, but my room mate Christine is still plying Kijiji looking for more, but this Canadian will give us 5, including my kevlar swift we trip with, and that is too many.

Last edited:
I am not a canoe collector and I have 10. Never say you are done. Once you get two or three together they form a gravitational pull for more. Don't ask me how I just report the news.

Any chance it was planked with red cedar opposed to white. With about half the boat initially stripped so the stain is off and I can see wood, it seems darker than white would. I will know better once I have the varnish off too, hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Hi Kat
I wouldn't think that vintage would have been red-would have been a healthy supply of white at that time I think. Does it have, or did it have a keel? Mine and others I've seen do but I think may have been an option. And for decals (and old CCC catalogs and shirts) check with Roger at Ivy Lea books. Nice find!
Gary

Hi Gary

No keel, not even any holes for one. I'll be needing photo's of details like the inwale/stem/deck connection. It looks like the inwales butted behind the stem, but the tips are gone so I'm guessing. Also, I would like to reproduce the original seats, this had only slabs of plywood, so wood species and dimensions would be nice and perhaps I will have to try my hand at caning as well.

Is it odd having two thwarts? I've seen photo's of this boat with the second thwart behind the bow seat, but on this one it is in front of the stern seat. The inwales look original and there aren't additional holes to suggest the thwarts were moved. So, if the second thwart is to the rear could that be because it was meant for the lee boards that came with it? Might make sense.

Back